CO2 Into Fuel?

Dan Conant

Scientists from the University of Bath will be working on capturing CO2 and recycling it into usable materials such as fuel thanks to funding provided by the Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).  This is a massive undertaking of a project, but if all goes well then these scientists may end up helping to reduce the world’s leading greenhouse gas.  This project has only begun, but the scientists already have a good idea of how they might go about capturing this CO2.

Emissions

The scientsits are going to try to develop a porus material that would be in the chimneys of factories to help capture CO2.  Porus materials are ideal because they absorb gas from the air easily.  Once captured, the scientists  will be experimenting with solar power to convert the CO2 into fuels and other products.  Dr. David Fermin from Bristol College (a collaborator in this endeavor) helped to provide the science behind this project’s vision;“Currently, there are no large-scale technologies available for capturing and processing CO2 from air. The facts are that CO2 is rather diluted in the atmosphere and its chemical reactivity is very low. By combining clever material design with heterogeneous catalysis, electrocatalysis and biocatalysis, we aim at developing an effective carbon neutral technology.”

This project has a lot of potential for helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, as it could be applied to factories and other large scale CO2 emission contributors.  There is even hope that eventually this technology might be able to be applied to automobiles, but that is in the distant future. 

Information was collected from here.

Published by

conantd

Dan is a junior environmental studies major and is currently an intern for Dickinson's Center for Sustainability Education.

15 thoughts on “CO2 Into Fuel?”

1. is a subject that I am interested in. Its very hard to find articles related to Capture Pages , but finally on Saturday I did it, Yeah! Let me get whats left of my pizza and finish reading.

2. Your topic was interesting.I found it on Saturday searching for health products.Please Keep posting on health products.

3. Very interesting stuff, but will this mean the demise of the oil and gas industry. I guess we will always need petroleum, abeit for plastic and asphalt, but if this is possible it will reduce the need for fossil fuels tremendously.

4. Thanks for the interesting article. I bought my house last year and realized how much air pollution is now. Construction and other structures throw waste into the air and into the ground. The rivers are getting polluted. And as a result, when we buy a piece of land, we get an unsuitable land for growing and living with a huge amount of contamination.

5. You may get Ace Hardware Coupon Code from this link. Finding a real Ace Hardware Coupon Code might be hard sometimes. At there, you may get free discount code and offers for online stores and in stores. Also, daily deals and sales are available always.

6. Visit for Acme Tools Coupon Code. Getting Acme Tools Coupon Code for online shopping is easy there. Discount codes and offers are free and you may take advantages of all daily deals, sales, coupons and promo codes.

7. Іt’s really a cool and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful information about CO2. with us. Thank you for sharing

8. Thank you so much admin for uploading such amazing content with us your blog is really helpful for me. wish you all the best for upcoming comments. I am also wanted to write a blog kindly guide me if my topic is seismograph for sale then what should I do first and how will I create new and unique content on this topic