Wait for Prostate Treatment May Be Over

April 18, 2010

By: Shelly Hwang

Prostate cancer is the second-leading cause of cancer death in men, with men having a one in six chance that they will get prostate cancer in their lifetime. While prostate cancer can be treated with surgery, a new treatment similar to radiation is being tested that may be able to more effectively target proteins on the surface of prostate tumors, providing hope even for patients with advanced prostate cancer.

Human prostate cancer cells can be recognized by overexpression of some proteins on their surface. The abundance of certain proteins provides a way to target these cancer cells by using antibodies. The antibodies will be binded to the isotope 212-lead, which is an altered form of the common element lead. When this antibody is injected into a patient’s veins, it will bind to a tumor’s surface and release particles and radiation that will destroy only the tumor cells.

Researchers in Zhongyun Dong’s laboratory at the University of Cincinnati are getting ready to test this new agent over the course of this year. They will measure how toxic and effective the treatment is in slowing down or blocking cancer cell growth. Then, the treatment will be used in clinical trials with patients with advanced prostate cancer.

Original Press Release

UC Academic Health Center

19 thoughts on “Wait for Prostate Treatment May Be Over”

1. The best prime essay net vip writing service offers its services for all students who have no time to cope with all their assignments. If you are looking for a company that is going to treat you with all the respect and dignity you deserve, that you should know that there is no one better than Prime-Essay.net.

2. My friend’s blog I have read, I am very impressed with your blog, I hope you will have more blogs or more articles to bring to readers.
    vex 3

3. Thank you for telling us about this. I really hope that now a cure will be found and we will be able to stop fearing such types of cancer. I hope that now the word cancer will cease to be synonymous with death. At the moment, it seems to me that people who hear this diagnosis simply think that they will no longer have a normal life. Therefore, I hope that research in this area will bring good results and we will really soon be able to treat cancer as one of the common diseases.