Robert Audley’s Obsession

Since the disappearance of George Talboys, Robert Audley has been obsessively searching clues that lead to his body. In the beginning, Robert seemed to be nothing but a concerned friend. As the story progresses, I am starting to notice this weird obsession that Robert has with George’s disappearance. In chapter two of the second volume, Robert questions his feelings for George: “Who would have thought that I could have grown so fond of the fellow,” he muttered, “or feel so lonely without him? …” (163) So, why is Robert so “fond” of George? Why is he willing to give up everything he owns to have George by his side.  I believe that these questions may lead us to a deeper discovery of the relationship between Robert and George. I cannot help but question whether or not these two characters share a kind of common bond. Or, perhaps his obsession with George’s disappearance indicates that Robert knows more than he’s telling us. Why does he want to find George so badly? And, more importantly, why is he almost positive that George is dead? Robert may have an inkling about what has happened to George, and who might have been involved. However, since the narrator is unreliable, we cannot be sure whether or not Robert is hiding something from us or not.

5 thoughts on “Robert Audley’s Obsession”

1. What first started out as bad suspicion has now made Roberts life revolved around the mystery of his friend George’s supposed death. Robert says, “Is the radius to grow narrower day by day, until it draws a dark circle round the home of those I love? How will it end?” (Page 153), showing that, though he has many reasons to stop his inquiry, he must go on in his investigations. Roberts may not even stop there. Soon after he says, “Justice to the dead first… mercy to the living afterwards.” (Page 159). This seems to say he does not only want to find the killer of his friend but seek the justice of righting the wrong. It seems that Robert knows exactly how this must end.

2. “Since the narrator is unreliable, we cannot be sure whether or not Robert is hiding something from us or not.” I agree with this sentiment completely. Thus far, it is unclear who the narrator of this story is. As you have argued, without knowing this, can we really trust the information that has been provided? Better yet, what information hasn’t been explicitly specified, but has been eluded to?

In terms of Robert’s relationship with George, I think there may be a simple answer for why George’s death has haunted Robert so. Throughout this book, it has become apparent that George was an important person to Robert; probably the most important in the book. By this, I am saying that George’s absence likely revealed to Robert how lonely his life actually is. Beyond his relationship with George, there are few characters who Robert is close to. In losing his only friend, Robert realized just how dismal his world is. Robert himself provides support for this interpretation as he said, “Who would have thought that I could have grown so fond of the fellow… or feel so lonely without him? …” (163) In this way, George allowed Robert to avoid the lonely live that he now follows. By uncovering and avenging George’s murder, Robert is searching for the same thing he found in his friend: peace.

3. I agree with you completely Giuliapagano, Robert Audley’s strange commitment and almost obsession with George and finding out his whereabouts is borderline disturbing. Robert Jumps to the conclusion of murder quickly and does go through extraordinary lengths to try to find him. Even later, when Robert is sitting in the hotel alone and remarks he only wishes “George were sitting opposite to me, or- or even George’s sister she’s very like him” is showing of Roberts obsession with George (310). He is now bring Clara into it, constantly comparing the siblings’ likeness and dwelling on Clara. Perhaps there is something in this. It is true that Roberts’s obsession with solving George’s murder might be a result of prior or secret knowledge Robert has. I am wondering if Robert is out to get someone who he will blame for George’s death, assumedly Lady Audley. After Robert’s rant about women, we get the feeling that this indeed maybe the case.

4. I completely agree with Giuliapagano, Robert Audley’s strange commitment and obsession with George and discovering his whereabouts is borderline disturbing. Robert Jumps to the conclusion of murder quickly and does go through extraordinary lengths to try to find him. Even later, when Robert is sitting in the hotel alone and remarks he only wishes “George were sitting opposite to me, or- or even George’s sister she’s very like him” is showing of Roberts obsession with George (310). He is now bring Clara into it, constantly comparing the siblings’ likeness and dwelling on Clara. Perhaps there is something in this. It is true that Roberts’s obsession with solving George’s murder might be a result of prior or secret knowledge Robert has. I am wondering if Robert is out to get someone who he will blame for George’s death, assumedly Lady Audley. After Robert’s rant about women, we get the feeling that this indeed maybe the case.

5. This is an interesting post. Thank you for posing the question. Seriously though, what is the relationship between Robert Audley and George Talboys? I agree with you because there is clearly a strong relationship between the two. However, I’m not exactly sure if he is obsessed with George as a person – I think he is just obsessed with solving this case. After all, “‘justice to the dead first,’ he said, ‘mercy to the living afterwards'” (159).

While going through previous chapters, I came across a few statements (spoken from Robert), that really lead to the questioning of George and Bob’s relationship. For instance:

1.) “Of all the extraordinary things that ever happened to me in the whole course of my life,” said Robert Audley, “this is the most miraculous!” (83)
    -A man not showing up for dinner is the most miraculous thing that has occurred in the whole course of your life? Interesting…
    2.) “‘I wish I’d never felt any friendliness for the fellow,’ he thought. I feel like a man who has an only son whose life has gone wrong with him. I wish to Heaven I could give him back his wife, and send him down to Vintner to finish his days in peace.” (89)
    -Now he is comparing his friendship with George to that as having a child?
    3.) “‘I had a friend, Lady Audley, whom I loved very dearly, and since I have lost him I fear that my feelings towards other people are strangely embittered.'” (143)
    -Wow, now that you have lost George, your feelings towards other people are different than before?

(and more….)

However, drawing connections, I think it is important to compare Robert’s relationship to that of other characters throughout the novel. For instance, when speaking of Sir Michael Audley, the narrator describes Robert: “The moment in which the tears rose to his eyes and dimmed the piteous scene before him, was long enough to take him back to Essex and to show him the image of his uncle, stricken by agony and shame.”

Generally speaking, I think Robert is just an all-around nice guy. He truly cares about the well-being of those he is close. Of course, Sir Michael is his uncle, so a close relationship seems manifest. But how did Robert become so close to George? Whatever the answer, I think that George is just a compassionate person (and that is clear throughout the novel). After all, despite all the rude remarks that Alicia makes towards Robert, he respects her nonetheless.