Shannon Nolan: Reading List

Key-Terms

Nation-building

Language/Linguistic Theory

Theoretical Works

Kornprobst, Markus. “Episteme, nation-builders and national identity: the re-construction of Irishness,” Nations & Nationalism, vol. 11, no. 3, 2005,  pp. 403-421.

Stević, Aleksandar. “Stephen Dedalus and Nationalism without Nationalism,” Journal of Modern Literature (JML), vol. 1, no. 1, 2017, pp.40-57

Kiberd, Declan. Inventing Ireland. United States: Random House, 1996.

Ferris, Ina. The Romantic National Tale and the Question of Ireland. Cambridge University Press, 2002.

Gilmartin, Elizabeth. “The Anglo-Irish Dialect: Mediating Linguistic Conflict,” Victorian Literature & Culture, vol. 32, no. 1, 2004, pp. 1-16

Journals

ARIEL: A Review of International English Literature (University of Calgary)

Eire-Ireland (The Irish American Cultural Institute)

Reflection

I approached this project interested in the intersection between the suppression of language and the building of national identity through literature. What does it mean to write in a language that was not created for your cultural and societal context? A language that has altered the way that a group interacts, thinks, and feels because they must adopt the world view attached to the linguistic system?

Irish literature became an interesting place to begin when one accounted for the national movement to re-introduce Irish as a living language. Writers of the late 19th, and early 20th centuries, such as Joyce and Yeats, debated the practicalities and need for such a re-introduction. Understanding this debate within the context of the building of a national literature then became important. In few other countries, currently writing in English, was there such a massive destruction of language.

Following my meeting with Professor Seiler, I began to think about the English writers, who had returned to London following the revolution, who wrote about or within their Irish experiences. Professor Seiler recommended the works of Elizabeth Bowen, who wrote The Last September, as well as several other novels and a series of Gothic short stories. I connected the Gothic tales to Bram Stoker’s Dracula, which has been read as a fear of reverse colonization on the part of the British. Stoker’s position as an Irishman makes his authorship of this novel touchstone of the English Gothic fascinating to me.

From here I am unsure which path my research will follow. I don’t know if I would like to sit in the linguistic realm, or branch out to discover more in the realm of folklore and the Gothic. Narrowing down my interests so that a primary text will be easier to settle on should most likely be my main focus. Regardless, the relationship of Ireland to the english language feels like an important place to start.