Reading List: Abbie

Key Words

1. Gender Representation and Disfigured Bodies
  2. Psychoanalytic Film Theory
  3. Horror Film Studies

Clover, Carol. Men, Women, and Chain Saws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film. Princeton University Press, 1993.

Clover, Carol. “Her Body, Himself: Gender in the Slasher Film.” Representations, no. 20, 1987, pp. 187-228.

Hutchings, Peter. The Horror Film. Pearson Longman, 2004.

Jones, Steve. “The Pure Moment of Murder: The Symbolic Function of Bodily Interactions in Horror Films.” Projections: The Journal for Movies and Mind, vol. 5, no. 2, 2011, pp. 96–114.

Rodowick, D.N. The Difficulty of Difference: Psychoanalysis, Sexual Difference and Film Theory. Routledge, 1991.

Welsh, Andrew. “On the Perils of Living Dangerously in the Slasher Horror Film: Gender Differences in the Association Between Sexual Activity and Survival.” Springer/Plenum, vol. 62, no. 11–12, pp. 762–773.

I put this list together based off a class I took a few semesters ago. The course was titled The Horror Film and focused on analyzing movies including, but not limited to, slasher films. I was inspired by this course so I framed my thesis around my passion for horror films and included some themes from the course including gender. I want to open up my topic and use this inspiration to further analyze horror films. I also researched some more articles surrounding my topic and added them as well. I had some difficulty finding a journal right away, however with more detailed searches regarding the film I came across a few that will enhance my understanding of horror film including the “Horror Studies Journal” and “Journal of Popular Film & Television”.

I have compiled a longer list of primary sources including Halloween, Psycho, The Shining, The Orphan, Saw, The Silence of the Lambs, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the 13th. As I continue to read and narrow my interest and topic I will have a better idea which films I want to use in my thesis. These are all films I have watched several times and I believe have a great influence on horror film studies and would be useful in my analysis. I am very passionate about determining the significance of the ways in which gender and bodies are displayed in horror films. I want to also incorporate the mind and the ways in which they are disfigured in horror films. I am specifically interested in the slasher film and psychological horror.

For my research, I will begin by defining the different theories useful to my topic including psychoanalytical theory and feminist film theory, specifically the idea of the Final. An author that I am specifically interested in is Carol Clover. Her renowned work, Men, Women, and Chain Saws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film, highlights many important aspects of the Final Girl and the important role women play in horror films. She also uses concepts of the Final Girl to determine roles of masculinity throughout movies. Clover analyzes a few films in particular and I am curious if her points uphold throughout other major horror films. Peter Hutchings is another author I am interested in studying. His work, The Horror Film, addresses the danger of Clover’s approach to defining the Final Girl in such a feminine and fragile manner. I want to read more in order to dictate the overlap and examine the critic between Clover and Hutchings.