Generational Differences

February 20th, 2013

Someone in my class just said “going ham”.  My Professor was very confused to say the least so we had to explain it to her.  As young people we say things that we don’t realize other generations don’t necessarily know the meaning of.  Another example of this is from last week…as I was headed to class I said “That’s Jon’s go-to” to Professor McNulty.  That’s very common for our generation to use, but not necessarily for other generations.

2 Responses to “Generational Differences”

1.   spanishstorytelling on February 20, 2013 11:30 pm

Right Kim! There is always a continuum, right? So there are words that one generation uses that another can understand that another would never use, but there are also words that one generation uses that another generation doesn’t understand at all.

When you said “That’s Jon’s go-to”, I commented that maybe your parents would probably understand it, but may not use it.

“Going ham” might be an example (at least for that professor) that is not understood.

It goes both ways too. Have your parents or grandparents ever used an expression that you didn’t understand? One I can think of offhand is “bee’s knees”.

2.   spanishstorytelling on February 20, 2013 11:33 pm

oops – I didn’t finish…

My grandmother used to use the expression that something was “slow as molasses in January”. Would I use that expression? No. But I can understand it and you probably can too. For “bee’s knees”, I needed a lot more context!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS