Introduction

Hello everyone! My name is Sophie Ackert and this blog will serve to be an account of my summer internship for 2019. Along with being a requirement for my Internship Grant from Dickinson College, the blog is a way for me to keep track of and share my experience and hopefully my successes in my internship. I am interning at Running Start, a non-profit that helps to train young women on how to run for office.

Running Start

I began my journey at Running Start in 2015 when I participated in their High School Program, then called YWPL. This weeklong program took place at Georgetown University. YWPL completely changed my life for the better. It opened my eyes to career paths that I was actually interested in, and it gave me so many opportunities, skills, and knowledge about politics, specifically women in politics.

I am so grateful to be on the other end of the organization. I will get to learn how a non-profit runs, what working in D.C. is truly like, and most excitingly, I will get to help plan and facilitate the High School Program, giving back to 50 high school girls what I got from Running Start.

Here’s to an amazing summer in an incredible city. Send me luck (and maybe some snacks– groceries are expensive!)