Weeks 1-2

Wow. What an eventful 2 weeks.

Some highlights not related to work: Fell down the escalator to the metro and broke my heel- will never walk to work in heels again. Got thrown up on by a coworker walking to a conference. Had a beautiful picnic on the mall underneath the Washington Monument. Cut open my finger but still made it to work. Discovered that my roommates love the same show as I do (New Girl marathons!)

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Work!!

My internship has been a dream so far. My hours are 10-4 with a lunch break, the office is modern and organized, and the staff and other interns are friendly, fun, and hardworking.

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset
Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

The first day consisted of an orientation for the interns starting that day, and a list of tasks to complete to set ourselves up and get ready for working here at Running Start. Once we finished that list, we jumped right in.

Every day at Running Start is interesting because I understand how each task that I complete related to the mission of increasing representation in politics. I’ve done everything from picking up lunch for a board meeting, to corresponding directly with Congresswomen and men’s schedulers to set up Congressional meeting for our High School Program.

Highlights

Becoming colleagues and friend with other staff/interns that have opposing political opinions from me (perks of a nonpartisan org!). Having access to the High School Program email account and being trusted to email and call back and forth with staffers and schedulers from the House of Representatives. Helping with strategies and posts for the Running Start social media platforms (I created an interactive map of all of the High School program participants that the staff seemed to love).

So far, I love my internship and everything that comes with living and working in D.C. I hope that the rest of my times here continues to be as exciting and rewarding.

2 weeks down, 6 to go!