High School Program Week!

The Reason I’m Here

In 2015, I was a participant in Running Start’s High School Program. It was the one of the best weeks of my 15 year year old life. I made incredible friends who were interested in the same goals as I was, met so many powerful women mentors, and heard speakers that still inspire me today.

This program was the reason that I wanted so badly to intern at Running Start. I got so much from the organization and I loved the idea of being able to give back to them and learn from them.

Being on the other end of this program was eye-opening, interesting, and so very fun!

Highlights

Meeting the Girls- 

I, along with all of the other interns were so excited to meet all of the girls. Each one applied to the program for their own reason, and they were so friendly, outgoing, and smart. Our icebreakers went well, and the girls immediately made friends, which I remember from when I was a participant. One of the participants attends Westover, my high school, and we bonded over spirit teams and service trips.

Capitol Hill 

Capitol Hill day was the most exhausting  and most exciting day. We started off with a congressional reception where we heard from a few members of congress, including Jenniffer González-Colón, Puerto Rico’s only representative in Congress. After that, each of the staff members and interns got a group of 3-4 groups and took them to the House buildings to meet with their reps. Some groups got to meet AOC (my group SPRINTED to her office only to find out we had just missed her), and my group got to meet all of their congressmen. During our free time, we stopped by other reps offices and explored all of the congressional buildings. Then, we stopped for a quick dinner and headed to the congressional softball game. We enjoyed the game, got free ice cream, and met the members of Congress on the team, plus Nancy Pelosi! I fell asleep as soon as I touched my bed that night, but every moment was worth it.

The Talent Show

During my year, the talent show was my favorite night. I cried, laughed, sang, and danced. This talent show lived up to that one just as I expected. Each of the girls who performed were incredible talented. There were singers, a violinist, poets, and the classic lip syncers. All of the interns started it off with a flash mob, and we had wayy too much fun with it. The most powerful part of the night was a girl who wrote and performed a spoken word poem about gun violence. I loved every second of it, just as I had the first time.

The Wing

On Friday night, I got to experience The Wing. The girls had a networking session and reception, and the staff and interns participates as well.  The Wing is the most amazing place I have EVER been. It is a community and working space for professional women and non-binary people in DC. The decoration and setup of The Wing is the most aesthetically pleasing, colorful, and comfortable space. It includes anything a young professional women could desire, and the women who work and are members there are the people version of the decor. Grateful for my new goal: become a member ASAP!

Goodbye Video 

Sadly, the week came to an end on Saturday. Each intern had a project for the week. Mine was the make a video that captured the energy and fun of the week. Throughout the program, I had staff take short clips of the different sessions and activities and send them to me. I compiled the videos,  put music to it (Run the World (Girls) -Beyonce of course). My proudest moment of the week was showing the video to the participants and their families before the graduation ceremony. Everyone loved it, and I had so much fun working on it.

Overall

I have a feeling this will be my favorite part of my internship. I became very close with my fellow interns, created great relationships with the participants and rest of the staff, and networked with great women professionals. Thanks to Running Start for everything, and thanks to Dickinson for giving me an internship grant to make this experience possible.