Monday, April 2nd, 2018...1:05 pmMarissa

Learning to Read – Marissa

Although I am not completely aware of how I learned to read, I remember in Kindergarten when we were all learning the alphabet and every day we would have another letter to work on. We would say words that came to our minds that started with the letter that we were working on, and my teacher would write them down. I remember doing this throughout all of Kindergarten, in addition to, having read aloud sessions where our teacher would sit and read a book that we chose for her.

Before Kindergarten, my mom would read to my brother and I every night. We had special books for learning to read that would write about one letter of the alphabet and introduce you to different words that you might come across. Also, we owned a lot of picture books that my mom would read aloud to me, but after a few times of hearing the same book, I would know what the book said, and my mom told me that I would try to read the words with what I knew it said. This is a way that I learned recognition of certain words that started my learning process.

My mom told me that she would make my brother and I read all kinds of things from menus to children’s books to signs. She told me that we also had flash cards that had some words that were familiar and some that were different that we would go through every night. The flash cards that we had, had the picture on one side, and the word on the other. For example, if the front had a picture of a house, the back said house. From a young age, parents emphasize words for their kids to learn. The most common words that kids can recognize are the alphabet and animals because they become familiar.

While talking to my mom, she told me that after I was able to read a sentence of a book, I wanted to read more so I wouldn’t let her read to me anymore. She told me that I would read the books to her, and she would help me when I got stuck. I think that this is a common thing for parents to do with their kids. I know that I learned how to read small children’s books, and afterwards, I wanted to start reading short stories, and then moved on to novels like “The Boxcar Children,” in second grade.

After I learned to read, my mom wanted me to gain a bigger vocabulary, so she would make me read everything that we would come across in a day. On top of that, I would read to her every night and she would help me continue to learn new words.

• It is always interesting to hear someone’s story on how they learned to read, because each story is slightly different. However, the methods are so similar. For example, like you said you learned a new letter everyday then eventually started forming words, and sentences. Most people start with part of something such as a letter as a lens to look at the whole thing or word. Once the basics are established, then everyday from there on out is spent on increasing and improving one’s vocabulary and comprehension skills. I like how you pointed out that letters are associated with animals or other objects, like “A” for “Apple” and “B” for “Bird”, because images and other forms of visualization seem to really help with remembering.

April 10th, 2018 at 2:11 am

Marissa, it’s so awesome that your learning to read made you more independent–already as a little kid! Also, shout-out to your mom for encouraging your brother in both “on purpose” reading and more incidental reading (signs, menus, etc.).