header image

Semana 12

Posted by: duvalll | April 29, 2010 | 2 Comments |

Earlier this week, we briefly discussed the new senate bill, SB1070, that was recently passed in Arizona.  Although we didn’t have a lot of time to have a full conversation on the bill, our quick discussion caught my interest enough that I looked into it more later that day. This bill gives police the right to ask ANYONE for proof of legal U.S. residency.  While it aims to “clamp down” on illegal immigration, it will inevitably lead to racial profiling.  I believe that this is a huge step backwards for our country, as do many others.  The protests of this bill are just beginning, and I’m sure there will be many more to follow – numerous adults and students are standing up for what they believe in and doing what they can to fight against it.  Even today, Shakira, who is not even a citizen of this country, met with the mayor as well as the chief of police in Phoenix, Az.  She aims to see how they plan to implement this law, in spite of it being a violation to civil rights. GO Shak!!!! I believe that there is absolutely a better way to go about “clamping down” on illegal immigration, and that with enough petition, there will hopefully be an end to this newly implemented bill.

under: Louise, Reflexiones

Responses -

I saw this video today and am glad that someone so famous that many people like can make a stand to the public and discuss this harsh bill. It also really got me thinking, and in a way frightened, how she stated that this is sort of like the beginning of how our dark history began-genocides, where everyone was required to carry their documentations and raised a disconnection with everyone’s race.And I don’t understand how police officers can have the right to suspect someone if they are an illegal immigrant. I hope this all changes and all goes well.

We can’t just flood the country with illegals, we will go down with that ship if we do.

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories