header image

Women’s Rights in Argentina

Posted by: perrotta | October 25, 2010 | No Comment |

Since the deadline for my study abroad application is quickly approaching, I have started to research the countries I am interested in visiting.  I have done quite a bit of research on Malaga, Spain already, and consistently hear about the culture from one of my good friends studying there this semester.  Recently I have become interested in the study abroad program in Argentina.  In researching the country, I decided to take a look at recent new stories, in hopes of learning about current issues facing the people and government of Argentina.

A recent debate facing Argentina concerns women’s right to an abortion. Argentina’s president Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner had made steps to grant women the right to a legal abortion but recently took back her position. There was believed to a liberal social wave sweeping through Argentina, but that belief is now in question. Argentina has recently made same-sex marriages legal and was the first Latin American country to do so, but despite this great step forward, women still face challenges such as: obtaining birth control and receiving a legal abortion, mainly due to the superiority of Catholicism in Argentina.  Because of this struggle, illegal abortions are the leading cause of death amongst women in Argentina (which was extremely shocking to me).  Another disturbing statistic was that in 2008 40% of pregnancies ended with illegal abortions.  Though Argentina has made major steps in social reforms there are still a lot of progress to be made to protect the lives and rights of women in Argentina.

under: Annie, Reflexiones, Otoño 2010

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories