When I was Ichiro’s age . . .

I quite frankly don’t remember what I wanted to be at that age. I remember at various points in my childhood wanting to be an architect (inspired by legos), a filmmaker (Jurassic Park III), a historian (the History channel), and otherwise I had a rather absent vision of my future. While I recall various economic pressures in my childhood, my parents always attempted to provide for us all that we could need or even ask for. In that way, I never felt an abiding pressure to do anything particularly lucrative or aspirational, and indeed I probably lived an accidentally bourgeois lifestyle, instigated by a specifically lax ambition set up for me by a perhaps overly affectionate parent who encouraged me in all ways except pragmatically.

I had a rather privileged childhood and that failed to changed for many years; indeed it wasn’t until my mid-adolescence that I started to gain a more comprehensive worldview or understanding of what a profession really means. I tend to look back rather dismissively at my formative years, flinging platitudes of disgust at my unevolved, uncultured, undistinguished, and unmotivated eight year old self (as well as nine, ten, really through fourteen or so), and I do see it as the result of an overly privileged lifestyle, one where I was always taught that there were people who were worse off than I, but never made to understand the actual degree to which that was true. Or perhaps I was made to, and simply failed. I’m more than happy to heap the blame upon myself. There’s (probably) no better scapegoat than someone who has ceased to exist for twelve years.

About Noah Fusco

I like old movies and new movies and all kinds of movies.

3 Responses to When I was Ichiro’s age . . .

1. Thera says:

I wonder if we’ve had similar experiences in our childhoods in regards to our ignorance towards our respective parents’ economic troubles. I know that mine, too, had issues that I was vaguely aware of, but I was unaware of the extent – and, like you, my childhood aspirations were never inspired by a sense of needing to help my parents/needing to establish a secure, economic future. While I agree that this could be classified as unevolved/uncultured, perhaps there is a certain beauty in this childhood bliss? If anything, to me it says that my parents – and yours too, maybe? – wanted me/us to feel free to pursue any aspirations that inspired us, without a sense of obligation towards them or the economic difficulties they experienced.

2. Professor Seiler says:

Noah, I’d be curious to hear how you respond to Thera’s comment and whether, if you sit with the invitation to remember a bit more, you’re able to recapture something about your early ambitions / visions that is at once self-reflective (as your post is) and also more illuminating about where you see yourself going now. Nice final post.

3. Kayleigh says:

I think it’s interesting that your first aspirations all came from something concrete, (legos, Jurassic Park) and that two of those things were media related. That’s actually a pretty common theme throughout these posts, being inspired by a book, a TV show, an event, a person, a place. People have to know a thing is possible before they can aspire to it. I think this shows how important it is that media representations of careers be thoughtful in not just showing the “stereotypical” occupant of the job (like a female nurse and male doctor, both white).