Thursday, October 12th, 2017...5:04 pmmudds

My Literary Conception

I’ve always loved reading and literature in general. Some of my earliest memories involve reading and how my parents would tell me not to read while I’m walking down the stairs or while I’m doing something else. However, there was no specific time, at least that my parents can recall, where everything just “clicked” and I could suddenly read. It was more of a gradual thing, where I would pick up on words and phrases that my parents said or that I heard while reading Doctor Seuss, Winnie the Pooh, or The Berenstein Bears. I always was reading SOMETHING. So when I started stringing together complete sentences in books and using words and phrases from those books in actual conversation, it came as no surprise to anyone.

Therefore, I think I learned to read from ages 2-5, and I kept on my literary path ever since. There was something about reading that was magical to me. It could transport me to different worlds and I could meet new people that I would never meet before. I could sometimes even SEE the people I was reading about in my mind’s eye. And that made all the difference and catapulted me on my path to where I am today.

• I was obsessed with the Berenstein Bears when I was younger! Rather than walking around the house and reading, I would hide somewhere with a book and my parents would go crazy trying to find me since I’d disappear for hours.

October 14th, 2017 at 11:23 am

Sayahn–I love the image of kid-Sayahn walking down the stairs with his head in a book. Too perfect! You share with a lot our class a memory of learning to read as a process, rather than an instant–and in your case, it was clearly a really natural, self-directed process. Why does this not surprise me? Great post!

(Plus, you’re all making me want to reread _The Berenstein Bears_.)

• I did the whole walking around and reading thing too! I still pace around everywhere whether I’m reading a book or article or listening to music or an audiobook? It’s a habit I’ve retained from childhood and I think it has something to do with my focus now, I can barely read when I’m sitting down!

Fun fact: I’ve never read a Seuss book. Hard to come across when you’re halfway across the ocean!