Tuesday, November 21st, 2017...12:21 pmparkjo

Beloved: Critical Edition

Toni Morrison’s Beloved was one of the most interesting books I’ve ever read. Along with a gritty slave narrative, it also contains elements of commentary on gender relations and superstition. Of these, I think I want to focus on the slave narrative in a New Historicist framework. Because it has such an enigmatic plotline, I want to include both negative and positive responses that it received at the time it was released. There is also a lot of symbolism for which I want to find some analyses of. I don’t fully know what my whole idea for the final product is, but my basic intention is to sort of straighten out and detangle the message that Morrison is trying to send by making Beloved a slave story.

November 27th, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Jordyn–good choice of books! When did you first read _Beloved_? Anything else you can share with the group about your potential frame for your edition? We’ll be able to give you more specific advice, if so. For now, I think I’d suggest Guillory’s “Canon” as a way of getting into this project and/or that you check out Morrison’s lectures and critical writings.

• Do you think that by making Beloved a slave story, Morrison comments on racial attitudes at the time, or does it invoke a different meaning to you?