Sunday, November 26th, 2017...9:12 ammudds

Star Wars-Critical Edition

I am going to do my Critical Edition on Star Wars: A New Hope. I want to focus on the combination of influences and cultures that George Lucas drew on in order to create the ‘verse and the Canon. Specifically, the World War II and Cold War references and the cultures that were drawn from to create the Jedi, Sith, and the Force. As an avid Star Wars fan, I will draw from both the movie and canonical sources, both old and new, in order to paint a better picture of the ‘verse as a whole. I will also draw on scholarly articles, as well as, if possible, documents and sources from Lucasfilms and Lucas himself in order to ascertain how not only Star Wars was created, but also how it has continued to influence current pop culture.

November 27th, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Sayahn–Forgive my ignorance: is “A New Hope” in the Lucas canon of “Star Wars” films? This is a brave choice regardless–and a good one. You’ll want to do some thinking about “Canon” (in its literary sense) and some reading about pop culture, I think, to frame your argument. Unless, that is, you have specific sources in mind already to help you write a New Historicist edition of “SW:NH” as a cold war text?

• I like this because of the strong cultural influence “Star Wars” has on our modern society. I think you can do a lot with this in terms of canon. I’ll be interested to see how you incorporate the historical war references.