Week 9

Living and Working in DC

Working in DC has been such a great experience, and while my blog posts so far have been dedicated to describing my work, I thought I should write one about the great benefits of living in the city!

My 5 Favorite Things About DC

1. Public Transit:   Having access to buses and the metro make getting around the city easy and cheap. My typical commute every morning from one side of DC to the other lasts about 45 minutes. If I were driving, it would probably be doubled with rush hour traffic!

2. Museums and Monuments:   Having so many sights to see makes living in DC a constant adventure. There are all the Smithsonian museums, along with the monuments on the national mall, plus tons of other museums throughout DC. They make for great places to visit on the weekends or in the evenings.

3. Markets:   One thing DC has to offer that has become one of my favorite things to go to, are its markets. From the Eastern Market in Capitol Hill, to Union Market in NoMa, to the Fish Market on the waterfront, there are always a ton of people and great food. 

4. Food:   DC is a city that didn’t used to be know for its food. However, recently more restaurants with a more diverse selection are popping up all over. Whatever part of the world you feel like eating from, you can usually do it in DC, from Ethiopian cuisine, to Japanese ramen shops, to amazing traditional taco and Mexican food, to Mediterranean restaurants, the list is endless. 

5. Neighborhoods: Another great thing about DC are its neighborhoods. Each one is pretty unique in its house style and personality. Capitol Hill has historic row houses, and always has people out and about. U-Street has high rise apartments with the exciting busyness that accompanies them, while the neighborhood I live in, Brookland, is nice and quiet. Thanks to the Dickinson Internship Grant, I was able to find living in a safe and accessible part of DC.

2 Replies to “Week 9”