Dear Readers,

First of all, we’d like to wish you a happy new year! We hope you enjoyed the break with your family and friends and that 2016 is off to a good start.

It’s once again that time of year where one semester comes to an end and another begins. While two Dickinson students will stay until the end of the year, 10 others recently went back to the US to continue their studies in their respective universities, Dickinson, WashU, Bowdoin, and Bryn Mawr. Two students will stay until the end of the year, and another has decided to prolong her stay in France and Europe for a few more months. We thank them for their participation throughout last semester and wish them the best of luck.

Before leaving, they shared some last thoughts and adivce.

How would you describe this semester ? What did you learn ?

My semester in Toulouse has been a success. True, there were challenges and I felt nostalgic for the States. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun. Above all, I learned to be independent and how to integrate into a new community or culture. – Jessamyn, student from Dickinson

During my first semester in Toulouse I have learned many useful skills about living in the city. One of the most important things I’ve learned is time management, especially when it comes to public transportation. School is not as close to home here, so it’s important to make sure I plan to have plenty of time to get to school and get back home.  – Lisa, year long student from Dickinson

What will you miss about Toulouse ?

What I will miss about Toulouse is its proximity to other interesttng places. During my stay in Toulouse I spent several days in the Pyrenees and other small cities around Toulouse like Albi, Carcassonne and Foix. I will miss being able to explore and discover my surroundings, since I already know them in the US – Jessamyn, Dickinson student

What I will miss most about Toulouse is two words. This phrase, “Thank you, goodbye!”, marked the beginning and end of every day as I left my bus — line 16 — and became a daily interaction with the bus drivers. It also serves to describe how I feel as I look to leave Toulouse and return to the United States. Thank you, Toulouse, for the unforgettable semester, and see you soon! – Mariette, Bowdoin student

Do you have advice for the new students ?

You have to get out of your comfort zone and speak as much as you can, but don’t forget to have fun. – Jessamyn, Dickinson student

My advice for the new students is to take advantage of the beginning of the semester when they don’t have too much work. There are so many interesting things to do in Toulouse, great museums, movies, and concerts. It’s also a great time to take day trips to nearby cities such as Carcassonne, Albi, or even Bordeaux (only 2 hours away!)– Lisa, year long student from Dickinson

In the beginning of January we welcomed 10 new students from three universities– Dickinson (Pennsylvania), WahsU (Missouri), et Bowdoin (Maine) – and from almost all corners of the US. In Toulouse they’ll continue their studies in Anthropology, Classics, Economy, International Business, Law, Linguistics, Literature, Mathematics, Marketing, Psychology, and French. We’re excited to begin this semester with them and hope they will enjoy their stay in Toulouse.

I’ll let two Spring semester students, Evelyn and Olivia, take over and tell you about their first impressions of Toulouse.

Enjoy,
Julia