Heavy Rotation Update-4/23

I’ve got TWO WEEKS worth of awesome music for you guys! I know, I know I dropped the ball and didn’t do an update last week. Never again will I put my academics ahead of music directoring. But we’ve got some really stunning albums here at WDCV and we want to share that awesomeness with you:

River City Extension– And The Untouchable Man Like the Avett Brothers? Heard of Hoots and Hellmouth? Perhaps you like a little Spanish flavor in your folk rock. This happy album is the one for you! I especially like track #5.

Slow Club- Yeah So It’s really cute! If you are a traditional pop fan (Lenoard Cohen etc.)/folk songwriter fan you will love it! P.S. There is a cd of bonus tracks in new music!

Serena-Maneesh: S-M2: Abyss in B Minor Simply amazing, well thought out album. It has a tendency of getting weird (track 1 and 7) very amazing regardless.

Evelyn Evelyn Super weird story line of these pseudo conjoined Siamese twins (Amanda Palmer of The Dresden Dolls and Jason Webley) as they go on adventures!

Foxy Shazam- s/t Sounds like a mix between Mika and The Mars Volta (I think this is right- but the handwriting is kind of hard to read…).

Jonsi- Go Lead singer for Sigur Ros has done a solo album. Not as crazy as their normal stuff though.

Electric President- The Violent Blue A super chill album that is still really fun. Nightmare No.5 or 6 is my personal favorite.

Young Livers- Of Misery and Toil Finally something NOT lofi 60s throwback etc… No idea says, “The culminating effort radiates and underlying majesty and grace that belies the more overt aggression.” When are they ever that eloquent? This album is good.

Inlets- Inter Arbiter Dude has a great Beruit vibe- not coincidentally, since they work together sometimes.

The Henry Clay People- Somewhere on the Golden Coast Band has a strong Modest Mouse Vibe. Do you guys like Modest Mouse? If so maybe you’ll disagree but anyway, it’s pretty fun.

Horse Feathers- Thistled Spring All I can say about this: SO PRETTY!

The Radio Department- Clinging to a Scheme Gorgeous indie pop/shoe gaze from Sweden. A bit hard to say what they sound like but I like the Bloc Party Vibes that randomly pop up through out the album. A good listen.

The Do- A Mouthful French people like them! I think they are ok.

Balkan Beat Box- Blue Eyed Black Boy I’m late on this sorry! Anyway this is a much more listenable album than the last but still pretty cool!

The Pack AD- We Kill Computers I’m freakin’ in rock love with this album. It’s got this great grungy sound, but it isn’t noise or obnoxious. It’s very reminiscent of The White Stripes, if Amanda Palmer from Dresden Dolls did the vocals.

The Living Sisters- Love to Live It’s a really good album, it features the lead signer of The Birds & The Bees also in heavy rotation.

Mathaniel Rateliff- In Memory of Loss Solid album. You can’t go wrong with any track. It’s really chill and mellow but not boring.

The Mynabirds- What We Lost In The Fire We Gained In The Flood Good album. You can’t go wrong here. Definitely hints of Rilo Kiley in there.

The Slacker-The Great Rocksteady Swindle Oh, The Slackers! Keepin’ ska faith for all of us.

Dr. Dog- Shame, Shame Drink Up Buttercup’s drummer recommend this to me. It sounds like if Of Montreal played bars like in “Piano Man” ok that’s an exaggeration kinda.

The You Know Whos- Five Songs (They were just here at DICKINSON!) Did you go to Rock-Hop on Friday? Then you already LOVE them. Did you not go? Now you can see what you missed!!

Caribou- Swim Guys the album art for this is awesome. Oh the music is good too I guess.

Laura Stevenson & The Cans-  A Record I love this woman. Prettiest music ever!

Whew! That’s a lot of music folks. Does it seem like we’re missing anything? Give us a shout in the comments and we will see what we can do!

Hugs and Kisses,

WDCV Music Directors

Bookmark the permalink.