Humans of Dickinson

When first brainstorming my ideas for my class blog I was torn about what to focus on. In high school I created a blog all about my experiences with the college search process. I thought about continuing this on with my new perspective having doing some work with the admissions office at Dickinson. However, at the end of the day this idea left me pretty uninspired. So back to the drawing board I went. I considered what kind of blog I would want to read and my mind automatically turned to HONY. The field of photojournalist blogs fascinates me. Personally, as a blog reader, I always feel overwhelmed when a blog has too much text. I envision my blog to be a spin-off of Humans of New York but in the setting of Dickinson. While this school does have a close-knit community, this closeness brings with it cliques and stereotypes. I want this blog to be space to celebrate individuality and to break down some of these stereotypes. Growing up with two parents as photographers, being behind the lens is a place I have always been comfortable and curious. This blog would be a fun and inspiring way to get back into photography. I plan on using only disposable cameras for this project because I love their genuine quality. They come with a sense of mystery; you know never when a sun flare or two will make an appearance. I appreciate that there is no room for editing or manipulation of images. It will help to capture an honest portrait of those featured on my blog. So as not to directly copy Humans of New York, I will also write posts about my experiences of going up to people and asking them personal questions. I am really excited for this portion of the project and will hope to develop a set of questions that will stir up some good personal stories.

Humans of New York:

This a photojournalist blog that is primarily image based. Although there are many colors and images to focus on, it somehow still looks clearly laid out. There is a small amount of text on the website and none of it is personal to the blogger himself, which makes it unique. By placing the text under the images (instead of above or side-by-side) the images stand out on their own and are further enhanced by the text. I like that you see the image first and read the text second, it adds a sense of mystique. There are six categories on the header of the webpage that you can click on. These have a layout that is again very focused and user-friendly. I like that there is an archive feature so that you can search back to see how the project began. The blog page is also linked to Facebook, which allows the readership to increase.

Picture 5

Humans of New York. Humansofnewyork.com. 2013. Web. 15 Sep. 2013.

CollegeFashionista:

CollegeFashionista is another image heavy blog. Although I am not planning on focusing on fashion for my class project, it will be an entity of my blog. CollegeFashionista is interesting because it takes content from a slew of bloggers who each go to different colleges. This allows the photographs and the text posts about fashion to each have their own style and voice. Some of sassier than others while some are more informative and straightforward. This is a blog that appeals to a lot of different readers and also relies on reader-participation to thrive.

Picture 4

CollegeFashionista. Collegefashionista.com. 2013. Web. 15 Sep. 2013.

Facebook Twitter Email Tumblr