Why Art?

244126029_30ea688067_z

Andrew Wyeth’s painting, entitled “Christina’s World”, (shown above) is one of the earliest paintings I can remember appreciating as a piece of “art”. My sister had a print of it hanging on her bedroom wall and it caught my attention during my middle school years. It’s astonishing detail, mysterious subject, and masterful union of idea & form were not apparent to me at the time, but it gave me a sense of what great art can accomplish. more

I have a deep appreciation and enthusiasm for art. I am constantly seeking opportunities and events that expose myself to new and interesting creative projects. When I visit a city, the first place I go is to an art museum. I enjoy experiencing all kinds of creative projects and learning about the creative process. In addition to observing art, I participate; I make collages out of magazines and post them online. Here is one of my favorites:

tumblr_mdybcwPA441rldzvlo1_1280

I currently reside in Carlisle, Pennsylvania as a senior English major at Dickinson College. During my final year on campus, I will immerse myself in Carlisle’s creative community and use this blog to link it to the much larger online community. I will interview artists, document exhibits/shows, explore creative spaces, and much more.

Carlisle has a vibrant artistic community. (Just take a look at this video!) I hope to discover new facets of this community and gain a deeper understanding of its nature and influence. Many creative and inspiring people make up this community; behind every work of art is a creative mind. In addition to documenting art, I hope to explore questions such as: ‘How is creativity inspired?’, ‘What spaces inspire art?’, and ‘Why do we create art?’

Art for the Artless will entertain, inspire, explore, and inform. If you are looking to discover and participate in a vibrant artistic community, then you’ve come to the right place. So get excited and dive in—let’s explore.