Top 10 Superstitions Russians Live By

2014-03-29-superstitions1-thumb

My family has instilled some superstitions to live by. These may seem a little crazy and out there, but I promise you, my family and many other Russians swear by them

1. Spitting or touching wood

Russians believe in the evil eye and fear it. If someone compliments someone else’s child, health, future, or vacations; their parents or family members will spit three times over their shoulder and touch wood. Doing so, they refrain from suffering misfortune.

2. Don’t put empty bottles/keys on the table

Putting keys or empty bottles on the table are examples of “bad omens” of financial loss and tears. Keys are usually put in a drawer or hung up, and bottles are put on the floor before throwing away.

298c3d7c91390f8e89c95a1b1965bc04

3. Sit in silence before a trip

Before going on a trip, vacation, or any big travel plans; one must sit in silence and think positive thoughts to ensure safety, peace, and happiness for their time away from home. (My family does this before leaving for vacations and my best friend joined me on a ski trip and she did this ritual and was extremely confused and called it “family kumbayah session.”

4. Don’t come back into the house once you’ve already left

It is believed to be bad luck to enter your home after already leaving it. The idea of going back means trouble or misfortune in the journey ahead of you. (This ones super annoying … I find myself questioning going back home if I left my phone or computer or something I really need)

5. 
….If you do come back, look at yourself in the mirror

If you do come back inside, you have to make will a point of looking at yourself in the eye in a mirror. This is known to be another trick of the trade to deceive an evil omen.

2441496393_mirror_xlarge

6. Never give anyone an empty wallet

Giving someone a wallet is always a nice gift, but in Russian culture, it is believed to always put money in a wallet when you give it to someone. This shows they will never have an empty wallet and face financial troubles. It puts them on the right track to success.

7. Never give scarves, knives, or clocks as a present

Unfortunately a these things are not considered the best present for a Russian. Scarves, for example, are an omen of tears, knives an omen of enemies, and clocks an omen of parting. If one was to give someone a knife, scarf or clock, the person receiving the gift sometimes would give the other person a coin or small amount of money to pretend they “bought” the item.

8. Don’t sit at the corner of a table

Sitting at the corner of a table means that you will never get married. So, I’ve always tried to avoid sitting at the edge of a table 🙂

9. Stepping back on someones toes after being stepped on

Whenever you step on a Russians toes, they will most likely step back lightly to avoid any fights, bad luck, or evils between the two of you. If they don’t, then there is a chance there will be turmoil between the two of you.

10. And my grandpa’s favorite, always take an extra shot of vodka for good luck!

Unknown

These superstitions are part of my everyday life and are always in the back of my mind. I’m glad I could share some of these superstitions with you, and hopefully you’ve learned some tricks and cultural beliefs of the Russian culture.

This entry was posted in Student Blog Project 2015 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.