What Makes an Excellent Blog?

The question of “what makes an excellent blog” was somewhat difficult for me to tackle. I believe that question can be addressed in an infinite amount of ways purely because it is an opinion-based question.

Just as the question is opinion-based, so are blogs. Each and every blog is designed to its author’s preference; hence, there can be no bullet point-ed list of how to make an excellent blog. This is not to say that when analyzing a variety of blogs there are not a handful of factors that we can note to be successful. I just find it hard to state a recipe for a successful blog.

However, I believe the individualism of blogs, whatever it may be, is the most prevalent factor to making an excellent blog. The individualism of a blog has a direct correlation to what makes it successful (in the author’s eyes).

The harsh reality is that not everyone who reads a particular blog is going to love it. For example, last Thursday in class, we viewed Humans of New York, a well known and liked blog. Despite the fact I am an avid follower of Humans of New York, my fellow classmates were not slow to criticize its authenticity and credibility.

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/

Going back to my point of individualism, ¬†according to Brian Carroll, “…blogging is an exercise of expression, making one’s views public” (140). Blogs are designed/ written around an individuals passion, opinions, political views, etc. Not everyone is going to have the same passion, opinions, political views, etc. as the author of a blog they are reading.

This is where the grey area comes into play when the question of “what makes a blog excellent?” Carroll states: “The Internet has empowered ordinary citizens to become fact-checkers and analysts. People with a wide range of experiences can collaborate online, sharing knowledge, sources, and ideas, and challenging each others’ facts” (143). ¬†The Internet has allowed its users to become critics of each other, no matter if they are a college student or a CEO. On the contrary, blogging on the Internet also provides us a platform in which to create a community: “…blogging is also an expression of community, allowing individuals to communicate and congregate” (140). Blogging is used as a means of expression whether is it a blog on politics, religion, food, music, etc. Not everyone is going to think a particular blog is excellent; if that were the case, the Internet/ society would be very grey itself.

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/edulearn15lairecasteleynmottartdigitalmediawritingtoolsthetheoryofwritingcurriculatherealityofteachi-150703130637-lva1-app6892/95/edulearn-15-laire-casteleyn-mottart-digital-media-writing-tools-the-theory-of-writing-curricula-the-reality-of-teaching-practices-2-638.jpg?cb=1435928823