Advanced Environmental Research and Transformative Sustainability Exchange

Survey and German Reflections

In my survey, I asked questions surrounding the topic of low-carbon bridge fuels. I wanted to gain a better understanding of what the public thought of them and how they could be used in the energy transition process. In my survey, I surveyed both people from Pennsylvania and Germany because I wanted to understand the opinions of both Pennsylvanians and Germans to analyze the differing responses in each country’s energy transition. This added a valued component of my survey and I think it gave it a good scope of comparison.

As I surveyed Pennsylvanians, I mostly found that people were knowledgeable of natural gas and most of them agreed with natural gas as a low-carbon fuel. They did not like the side effects of natural gas being fracked in their backyards as a few of them had personal experiences with troubles it may cause onto the land of its surroundings. I also found that most Pennsylvanians said that natural gas will be likely used in their country’s energy system over the next 50 years.

When speaking to Germans about the same topic, I asked them the same survey questions. Their responses differed drastically from where I was surveying. I found that most people in Berlin, like in Pennsylvania, did know a little about natural gas, but did not have immediate impacts on them, except for more expensive fuel prices. Whereas, from the responses I recorded in Bremen, they were more knowledgeable of the energy transition, and they did not think natural gas was a low-carbon fuel. They were also very strong in their opinions about the transition towards cleaner energy. I found this quite interesting because the northwest of Germany where Bremen is located is where most of the wind farms are located.

In my opinion, I expected these results roughly. It was nice to see that around different parts of Germany, there was more knowledge spread about renewable energy. Everyone in my surveys said there needs to be a transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy, so there is a positive outlook for the future.

In my time spent in Germany, we were able to visit with many researchers, lawyers, policymakers, privatized wind farm companies, and much more focusing on renewable energy. It was fascinating to see how diversified people’s majors worked in these fields. Most of them coming together for a common goal of better the advocacy of our planet.  Seeing so many windmills while taking the train through Germany was also gratifying.

Considering everything I have learned about the United States and Germany, I do not think that one country is far more advanced than the other with consideration of a just energy transition. I think both countries are trying to do what’s profitable for their country first and then try to do best for the earth. I think in different aspects Germany may be slightly further ahead, but they are a much smaller country than the United States.

Next Post

Previous Post

1. Mohammad Abu Omar April 9, 2023

Greetings Scarlett. Thank you for sharing your insights and survey results concerning low-carbon bridge fuels.

First of all, it is great that you surveyed both Pennsylvanians and Germans to gain a better understanding of the opinions of each country on this topic.

It’s fascinating to me that although Pennsylvanians are aware of natural gas and consider it to be a low-carbon fuel, they are worried about the effects that it has on the environment. The fact that the majority of Pennsylvanians anticipate natural gas utilization in their nation’s energy system over the next 50 years is also promising.

It’s also really impressive to learn that Germans, especially those near Bremen where wind farms are situated, have strong feelings about the switch to greener energy and do not consider natural gas to be a low-carbon fuel. The fact that everyone who responded to your surveys agreed that we must switch from fossil fuels to renewable energy is also promising.

I agree with your statements that both countries are trying to balance profitability with the objective to reduce their impact on the environment. It is also fascinating to see all the people you met including lawyers, researchers, and policymakers working together for a common goal which is to fix the planet and implement renewable energy.

I personally think that your survey results provide valuable insights into the opinions of both Pennsylvanians and Germans on low-carbon bridge fuels and their perspectives on the energy transition process.

2. Leen Jadallah April 9, 2023

Thank you Scarlett for presenting your survey results and comparisons. It’s really nice to know that most people have a growth mindset regardless of the city they’re in. I really like how you mentioned how the people you surveyed were of vast variety, from lawyers to wind farm companies. You have also mentioned how in general countries first and foremost do what’s profitable for them before considering the environment and it seems like people having a surface knowledge might be an issue. Everyone is willing to help but it seems no one knows how to properly. Do you think this issue can be solved by the people only or must the government intervene?

3. haydi saleh April 9, 2023

Hi Scarlett!! I am hoping all is okay with you, I am grateful to you for sharing your thoughts and the findings of the survey,
    It is interesting to see how responses differed between the two regions, with Pennsylvanians being more knowledgeable about natural gas but also experiencing negative impacts from fracking, and Germans being more knowledgeable about renewable energy and having stronger opinions on the necessity of a transition away from fossil fuels. The differences between the two regions’ responses are interesting to see. During your time in Germany, it’s great to know that you were able to meet with professionals and representatives of firms working in the field of renewable energy.
    It was fascinating to see how Pennsylvanians and Germans think and feel differently about and have different levels of understanding regarding low-carbon bridge fuels. Both groups are obviously aware of the necessity of making the switch away from fossil fuels; nevertheless, the level of knowledge and opinions on the use of natural gas as a low-carbon fuel differs significantly between the two countries.
    In addition, it is encouraging to see that individuals from a variety of cultural contexts and professional domains are banding together to advance the cause of renewable energy in an effort to achieve a common objective. This demonstrates the significance of working together and combining efforts in order to accomplish the goal of a just energy transition.

I was wondering what specific policies or initiatives you came across in Germany that you believe Pennsylvania should employ to help support a just energy transition towards renewable energy.
    Again, thank you so much again for taking the time in writing this amazing research paper.

4. Alyazi Al Khemeiri April 9, 2023

Hi Scarlett, thank you for sharing your thoughts on low-carbon bridge fuels. I liked how you surveyed both people from Germany and the US regarding their thoughts to look into the local’s opinions on the topic. I do agree with their responses that them not liking the idea of natural gas being used however I do come from a country (UAE) that produces it, is known for it, and uses it, but we find ourselves using the sun’s power sources as well. I visited Munich, Germany 2 weeks ago and found that they use wind farms as a power source since they have a lot of strong wind. The US could have multiple ways to have a cleaner energy source since the country provides it and to find out that they already do. They use 46% solar energy and 17% wind. I think that all of these countries should take advantage of their natural sources such as wind, sun, or water as a power source instead of gas despite the great advantages it provides.

5. Samwilliam September 13, 2023

Hello Guys! I am working as a Manager at Kohls Feedback Store. We are providing a survey for our customers feedback. In the part of the survey, we decided to give a golden chance to the survey participants. By finishing the survey at https://www.kohlsfeedback.page/ get a chance to win a $1,000 gift coupon.