The Window Seat

2/21/24 Expectation and Projection on page 61

I completed my Place Visit on our snow day!I circled the aspects of my place on the photo below.

For the tree I said “I expect that you are scratchy. I expect that you are cold to touch. I expect that you have seen many snowstorms over the years. I expect you are old. I expect that you are strong.” For the branch on the right, I said “I expect that you are crawling. I expect that you are curved. I expect that you are new. I expect that you are energetic. I expect you would be a good companion for a dog.”

After coming up with many expectations for the two aspects, I started using them on myself. “I am the one who is scratchy…” I started to notice a tightness in my throat, which is interesting, because every time I have taken a Body Map before our mindfulness exercises in class I have felt similarly. “I am the one who is cold to touch…” I felt my arms shiver a little more than before. “I am the one who has seen many snowstorms over the years…” I started to feel more connected now. “I am the one who is old. I am the one who is strong.” With this, I felt grounded and powerful. I even noticed myself standing up a little straighter. “I am the one who is crawling” I started feeling mobile in my stance. “I am the one who is curved.” I liked this because it commented on my natural body type, without drawing any emotion. “I am the one who is new. I am the one who is energetic. I am the one who would be a good companion for a dog.” I felt playful and excited now. After this experience I felt myself with a soft smile.

In past Place Visits, I have felt the tree’s tranquilness. Similarly in this activity, I have attributed the tree with calm qualities. On the other hand, I attributed the branch with lively qualities, perhaps because I have never seen it before, or because of its shape. This object served as the antonym of a sedentary being, which is an idea we talked about in Bowman’s “Movement Matters: Movement Science, Movement Ecology, and The Nature of Movement.” It is interesting how it takes being not sedentary to see an object in nature that is also not sedentary.

In Body and Earth: An Experimental Guide Olsen says “perception is also personally selective, affected by genes, family values, previous experience, and the current state of alertness’ (56). Projection is a part of perception; we view the world, as a facet of ourselves. I felt a sense of calmness and liveliness during this experience because it was a snow day; I knew I had the option to relax all day or play or do both simultaneously. I clearly projected both emotions onto the environment around me.

3/6/24 Attention to Water on page 186

I brought my Stanley Cup, as I do to most places (it is my comfort water bottle!). Even though I knew it had ice in it from lunch, the first sip was alarmingly cold. I tried not to be judgmental of the temperature and to have a more holistic observation about the transition from external to internal. After taking another sip, I realized how the water soothed my dry mouth. I swished the water around in my mouth playfully and swallowed it. The water felt slippery as it entered my throat, and the water gave me energy when it hit my stomach.

The ‘waking up’ sensation became decreasingly surprising the closer I was finishing my water. As I continued to sip my water, my stomach began to feel heavier, grounding me. After finishing my water, I brought myself up from a sitting position to see if my entire body felt heavier and it did- I felt more capable of moving and interacting with the environment.

I started to think about Body and Place: An Experiential Guide when Olsen says “the first organisms emerged from the oceans, and all living species are dependent on water for survival to keep them from dying up. Water also supplies nutrients and removes waste materials, provides habitat, monitors temperature internally and externally, and offers a fluid medium for reproduction and travel” (178).I felt connected to the surrounding environmental features; I considered how much water the tree and the grass has consumed in its lifetimes. I considered all the tiny bugs beneath the ground; do they like when it rains? Do they understand how important water consumption is to their very existence? I considered how much water I consumed in my lifetime and how I feel healthier and more focused when I prioritize water consumption. Moreover, after participating in this activity, I became aware of the water vapor in the air which I don’t normally do unless it is drizzling/raining/snowing. I felt relaxed after this activity and more focused for the rest of the day.