The Labor Movement of Shalott

Typical readings of Tennyson’s “The Lady of Shalott” explore the depiction of female sexuality. I would like to offer an alternate interpretation: “The Lady of Shalott” as a double poem criticizing factory labor.

In the first section of the poem, Tennyson’s description of the island of Shalott evokes a nineteenth-century factory as much as it does a castle. The very first description of the building itself is thus: “Four gray walls, and four gray towers” (line 15); this monochromatic, monotonous description is especially jarring given the surrounding lines are laden with natural images. Her castle seems out of place and imposed on the environment. Even its location beside a river recalls the real-world mills which derived their power from running water.

The Lady’s curse bears an equal resemblance to factory work. “No time hath she to sport and play,” Tennyson writes (line 37), for her labor occupies her life. “No other care hath she” (line 44). She is entirely consumed by her weaving. Her actions as well as her home evoke the life of a textile worker.

The fact that she is not allowed to gaze directly upon Camelot recalls more generally the political situation of the nineteenth-century working class, who were shut out of direct representation in politics. She is only able to see the seat of political power through a mediating mirror. Her eventual decision to reject this subjugation ends in disaster: she loses her life in a one-woman revolution. Just as for real-world industrial workers, her choice is to do the work available or to die.

And it must be noted: the feminist and Marxist interpretations of this poem need not be separate. The poem in fact becomes a much stronger political statement if gender and politics are considered in tandem. After all, industrial labor often made explicit steps to suppress women’s sexuality so as to produce more devoted workers. (For a relevant fiction treatment of this topic, I would recommend “The Paradise of Bachelors and the Tartarus of Maids” by Herman Melville.)

4 thoughts on “The Labor Movement of Shalott”

1. I really love your interpretation of Tennyson’s poem! I’ve never thought of it this way before, but your argument has convinced me that this a perfectly valid reading of the poem. Your comparison of the woman to a nineteenth-century textile worker is ingenious! You back up your claim extremely well in the second and third paragraphs of your post. I wonder if there’s not more to be said about the poor working conditions in the factories . . . Perhaps her death could also be caused by the poor working conditions, and this could be supported by the idea that any physical distraction (such as the knight) could harm her if she loses her focus on the job because of how poorly the workers were looked after and cared for. Wonderful post!

2. I think your alternate reading of the poem is a very good one and it makes more and more sense as you reread. I wonder where the depiction of Camelot and the other references to Arthurian stories fits into this reading. Why did Tennyson choose to set up his poem this way? Is he drawing a link between old stories and new problems?

3. I found your interpretation of Tennyson’s “The Lady of Shalott” really interesting! I especially like the comparison you made about the castle being “out of place”. I think this really highlights the feeling of displacement in female sexuality and gender performance at the time as well. This especially shows in the line you pointed us to about her labor as a woman at home compared to the labor of a factory worker. I think that there is a similar detatchment in both factory workers and women at home because theres a sense of robotics there, like they are just working because they are in this system that is built for them to be pawns in.

4. Wow! Super, super interesting take on the poem! Looking at the excerpts you share as well as back at the poem, I see what you mean when it comes to how the Lady of Shalott is confined and forced to weave, yet your theory does leave me with questions. What do you make of the Lady of Shalott’s death? Could that potentially be symbolism for, if someone escapes the horrid work conditions of the factories, they can no longer support themselves and starve?