Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting Notes
March 1, 2018 www.dickinson.edu/biking
Cody Rosenbarker, Sustainability Learning Coordinator
Lindsey Lyons, Asst. Director of the Center for Sustainability Education
Madie Ritter, Biking@Dickinson Intern
Ken Shultes, Assoc. VP of Sustainability/Faculty Planning
Sam Waltman, Biking@Dickinson Intern
Andrew Connell, Director of User Services
Jason Gavenonis, Asst. Prof of Chemistry
Alyssa Gill, Transportation Coordinator
Joe Fazio, Lieutenant/Asst. Dir. of Public Safety
Jim Ciarrocca, GIS Specialist
Jeanette Diamond, Health and Wellness Coordinator
Updates and Updated Summary
- The Handlebar is working on events and will continue to encourage a diverse group of participants. Members of the BAC are welcome to be a part of these events, just let us know how you would like to be involved! What can the BAC add to these events?
- volunteer training 2/18 (past)
- welding 3/23 from 12-2PM
- open house 4/5 from 3-5PM
- Goal: to invite people who do not normally interact with the space to feel comfortable
- Activities: chain bracelets, bike repair, pancakes
- bike to farm potluck 4/7
- women’s ride 4/10 5-6PM
- North-Side Ride 4/14(?) from 12-? (we need a large number of volunteers for this)
- Safety demonstrations
- Fundraising for helmets, lights & locks
- Partners: project Share, hope station, YWCA, LifeCycle
- in-depth maintenance tbd
- open hours weekly M-W from 4-6
- Collaborations made- referrals to Cole’s with a 10% discount card, first-year students offered discounted bikes through Cole’s delivered to their rooms, and Cole’s now maintains our red bike fleet
- Inflation Station s
- Old pumps have now been removed and new locations have been confirmed with facilities
- The check has been sent out, and we are waiting for delivery of 5 new pumps for 3 old and 2 new locations. Installation estimated the week of March 19th
- We should instate a regular maintenance schedule- who?
Progress Made Since Meeting and Ideas that Came up to Follow up on
- Bringing facilities into the conversation
- Cody met with Mark Scott on March 1 to bring him up to speed about the BAC as well as the BFU application and he has agreed to be part of the committee
- First meeting is now scheduled for Friday, March23rd from 12-2PM.
- Projects may include: trike/electric “farm” bike, tall bikes, and everyone will need to start by welding spare/scrap metal bike parts together, possibly to help make a mascot of sorts
- All participants must sign Handlebar waiver- should there be an specific one for this?
- Cody has contacted Ashley Zinc about possible liability concerns
- Contact facilities for scraps
- Follow up with Anthony Cervino about possible sculpture
- Make objectives and outcomes desired for this initiative
- We have a few new volunteers and some old ones who are coming regularly
- We are looking for ways to expand our hours/reach to be able to accommodate more visitors- Ideas?
- Cody has contacted admissions department to coordinate open hours with open houses and/or high traffic times of the week
- Follow up with Space Planning for additional permanent signage
- Sam Waltman is going forward with using the yellow tandem bike as advertisement for the Handlebar
- Madie Ritter has notified green bike recipients and bike storage members of pickup times (March 21-23rd during business hours)
- PA Commuter Services
- Possible employee incentive program for biking/walking to work (see BFU application). Cody has begun this conversation with Kandi Fox.
- Collaborating to give permission to park at local businesses in order to ride the last ~2 miles to work.
- Volunteering at North-Side Ride.
- PA Commuter services would like to be at the next BAC meeting.
- PA Commuter Services
Bicycle Friendly University (Application due August 30, 2018)
- Complete assigned questions and bring back unanswered questions to next meeting
- Tasks & Assignments
- GIS, Facilities, DPS, CSE – each received relevant questions to look over
- Master Plan – there was one put together, largely physical plan for pumps, racks, shelters. Cody will update and bring to next meeting for review.
- Target Faculty and staff commuting by bike
- Formalized incentives program (bike credit coupon for reduced-price bikes at Coles)
- Poster campaign
- Bring back answers to questions distributed or found at
- Discuss the BFU questions best answered by the group as a whole
- Add to Bicycle Master Plan
- Review BFU recommendations
- Come up with timeline to implement action items
- Discuss funding/logistics of increasing the number of bike shelters