last hoorah

After our last class, I thought a lot about what I could give back to the Earth. How could I make a change in my lifestyle? I happened to be on the website, http://www.stumbleupon.com/ and came across a beautiful garden. I stared at the computer screen for a long time and let my mind wander. For as long as I can remember I have been curious about flowers. How do they grow? Why are they different colors? Why do some smell great and others not at all? When I was little, every time the seasons changed I watched my mother plant new flowers. Mums in the fall, sunflowers in the summer, pansies in the spring, and poinsettias in the winter, all were planted with care. She used to tell me they were our special pets and that if we cared for them they would grow and be beautiful. That was enough of an explanation for me then, plants equal special pets.

As the years passed, I wanted to know more and more. What were the names of the plants? Why did some of them need shade? I learned the hard way that plants don’t need to be drowned in water. (I still feel bad about that hanging basket of Impatiens.) Instead of watching her garden as the solstices came and went, I began slowly to help her with her hobby around second grade. My mother taught me how far down in the ground to dig, when planting a seed or seedling. She helped me realize that each plant needs its own space and then some, as to not get tangled with its friends. She spent afternoons showing me how and where to put egg shells in the ground. This she explained, helped fertilize the soil so the plants would flourish and bloom until it was time for a new set of plants.

After mastering flowers my mom started growing tomatoes in terracotta pots.  Because we live in a condominium and there is limited gardening space, this was the only option. As usual around Mother’s Day, we went outside and planted until we were drenched in sweat and water. For me tomatoes weren’t as much fun to plant, because they all would sprout and be the same color, so no color coordinating was necessary. Weeks passed and every time I came home, I would check the pots for tomatoes. Finally huge juicy ones and small cherry tomatoes were hanging from the plant. They were the reddest tomatoes I had ever seen.

Now years after second grade I still garden with my mom. It has become our ultimate bonding experience. After this Ecofeminism class I wonder if there is more that my mom and I can grow in our limited space. I am excited to go home and explore the possibility of having some sort of victory garden and further connecting with small scale gardening. I never realized that the tomatoes and sunflowers are the only food that I have ever seen grow from start to finish. I want to see more. I know that as long as we plant the way she has taught me, beautiful and delicious things will grow in our garden. Because of her willingness to answer and teach me about the science of planting (whether or not it is a legitimate science I don’t know), developing a green thumb will be a lifelong goal of mine. I can’t wait for spring.

On a different note….

As the semester comes to a close and I think about everything I have learned in Ecofeminsim and  I am a bit overwhelmed. What do I do now? Maybe when I leave school over winter break I will be able to reflect back and truly see what we accomplished as a class. Well to me we are more then a class. I think of our class as a cohesive group of women, trying to get to the same place of peace with ones self and the environment. Although we will all have separate journeys that will continue way beyond these limestone walls, I feel lucky to have learned from each of you.

1. #1 by eolman on December 17, 2010 - 7:50 pm

Thank you for posting that video. I just watched it and will be sure to pass it on, not only to my mom but others as well. I was curious, does the “soil” you buy at garden stores with the little while ball mixed have chemicals? in terms of the lasagna method would the newspaper be harmful to the existing grass and soil… I know the point is to kill the grass, but does the ink have an effect?

2. #2 by tdonato on December 13, 2010 - 5:24 pm

I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your experience in the garden with your mother, reminds me of my experience with my father. Ever since I can remember, my father has loved his garden, new all his friends names(and the scientific names!), and couldn’t wait for the hydrangea’s to be full bloom. It’s amazing how with little time to plant a seed and some careful weeding, that a garden can flourish with just water and our sun. I have a you tube link, you can share with your friends(as I have done) to show how truly easy it is to have a garden. Enjoy! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFsSlS7IHBg).