Toxicity Report 2012

Toxicity Report 2012

Date Time Product Type Product Product Name
6-Mar 6:37 PM Hygiene Hand Sanitizer Purell
11:47 PM Hygiene Toothpaste Crest: 3D White
7-Mar 9:08 AM Health Contact Lenses Acuvue: 1-Day Moist
9:10 AM Hygiene Toothpaste Crest: 3D White
9:12 AM Hygiene Deodorant Axe Dry
1:15 PM Hygiene Shampoo Head and Shoulders
1:19 PM Hygiene Body Wash Gillette Skin Hydrator
1:26 PM Hygiene Deodorant Axe Dry
6:23 PM Hygiene Hand Sanitizer Purell
11:34 PM Hygiene Toothpaste Crest: 3D White
8-Mar 9:06 AM Health Contact Lenses Acuvue: 1-Day Moist
9:13 AM Hygiene Deodorant Axe Dry
11:28 AM Hygiene Shampoo Head and Shoulders
11:31 AM Hygiene Body Wash Gillette Skin Hydrator
12:03 PM Hygiene Hand Sanitizer Purell
6:12 PM Hygiene Hand Sanitizer Purell
11:12 PM Hygiene Toothpaste Crest: 3D White
9-Mar 9:13 AM Health Contact Lenses Acuvue: 1-Day Moist
9:17 AM Hygiene Toothpaste Crest: 3D White

After tracking all of the products I use on my body for several days, my first reaction to my toxicity report was “that’s it…?!”.  Identifying myself as a guy, I use a minimal amount of beauty products as compared to most girls in our class.  All of the products that I use from a day-to-day basis are considered to be “hygiene” products, while only my contact lenses fall under the product type of “health”.  I feel like I am lucky in being a guy because looking at my routine in the morning (i.e. waking up, putting my contacts in, brushing my teeth, and putting deodorant) takes only a couple of minutes while girls in our class take some serious time out of their mornings to put on make up products.  I am confused, being a guy, why girls and women across the world would continue to use unnatural, toxic make up products on their bodies; having learned about how bad nail salons are a few weeks ago, why do people still continue to go to them to get their finger or toe-nails painted?  I guess this isn’t a question for just one person in our class, but I am just confused why women are more fashionable (if you will) than men are.  Why do we see women using make up products and beauty products more often than men?

Analysis of Purell: Instant Hand Sanitizer:

Purell is a hand sanitizer that is advertised to kill “99.99 percent” of most common germs within 15 seconds of being used.  Purell was invented in 1988 by Gojo Industries and is proudly produced in the United States of America.  At first, Purell made its niche in the market by marketing Purell “to meet the needs of healthcare providers and restaurant operators looking for ways to reduce the spread of germs”.  In 1997 Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer was introduced to the market.  Nowadays, Purell is used by basically everyone.  It can be found in bathrooms around campus, in the cafeteria, and can even be found in the library.

The popularity and abundance of Purell throughout the world is the reason why I chose to write about this product.  I have heard rumors that Purell is “bad for your immune system” from friends and family, but haven’t yet gotten around to do the research and either prove or disprove that rumor.

Skin Deep gave Purell just below moderate in terms of overall hazard.  For allergies and immunotoxicity, Skin Deep gave Purell in the middle of moderate in high in terms of the risk.  The top ingredient that deserves the most attention as suggested by Skin Deep is the fragrance, as neurotoxicity, allergies, and immunotoxicity are the biggest concern; Skin Deep gave this ingredient an eight out of ten.  This “fragrance” could also be hazardous as the ingredient is not fully labeled, thus the identity of the substance is unknown.  Other the fragrance, fortunately there aren’t very many hazardous ingredients.

In the short-term Purell will not have an impact on my body if I continue to use it once a day at the very most.  In the long-term if I were to increase my use of Purell, I would be increasing my contact with certain toxic pollutants found in Purell.  The only short or long term risk would be accidental ingestion, as Purell has been observed to make people inebriated, alcohol poisioning.

All that having been said, I do not expect to quit using Purell anytime soon.  The little amount that I do use Purell, in my opinion, validates my use of the product once or twice a day.  I abide by the instructions whenever using Purell and use about a dime sized portion of Purell.  Some hazards and risks that I have heard of have included rubbing your eyes shortly after the application of Purell and the ethanol burning your eyes, but after further research did not find any conclusive data proving that Purell weakens your immune system.  It is FDA approved and according to their website, Purell is even tested on animals before humans.

http://www.purell.com/about-us/about-purell.aspx

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/239055/Purell_Instant_Hand_Sanitizer%2C_Original/

, , ,

1. No comments yet.