Vladimir Petrushevsky

An Archive

January 18th, 1915

Вчера до 4 часов дня были на старой стоянке. В 4 часа дня, оставив лошадей с коноводами, пешком пошли в окопы. Это в 8 верстах. В эскадроне до 100 винтовок. Уже в 7 часов вечера мы сменили Каргопольских драгун. Окопы хорошие, с козырьками и бойницами. Всюду ходы сообщения и много землянок. У меня и ротмистра Доможирова землянка в 4 шага шириной и 15 шагов длиной, да еще с 2 окнами. В землянке тепло, вчера было 12 градусов по Реомюру. Встать в полный рост нельзя, приходится все время бояться за свою голову – очень низко. В 500 шагах от нас немцы стали рыть окопы среди бела дня. За такое нахальство я подстрелил трех. Так я отомстил за гусара нашего эскадрона Бурликова. Он, переходя ночью из полевого караула с берега реки в окоп, был ранен в голову.

Сейчас мое писание было прерван докладом, что убит гусар Филиппов. Оказывается, разрывная пуля через бойницу попала прямо в лоб. Выходное отверстие большое. Интересно, что наши гусары не захотели снимать с него полушубка, хотя он был очень хороший. «Пусть так и лежит». Жаль его, славный был гусар, да видно не судьба. Если так будет продолжаться, что мы будем терять по 2 человека в день, то это очень печально.

Около 3 часов дня началась орудийная стрельба со стороны немцев. Мы молчали, так как у нас недостаточно снарядов, а немцы стреляли из наших 3-дюймовых, которые отбили под Сольдау. Хорошо, что у гранат не вынимают чеки, и гранаты не рвутся.

Yesterday we remained at our old position until 4 in the afternoon. At 4 in the afternoon we left our horses with the guides and proceeded to the trenches on foot. This was a distance of 8 versts (8 km). The squadron has up to 100 rifles. By 7 in the evening we had relieved the Kargopol dragoons. The trenches are good. They have parapets and gun ports. There are communication trenches throughout and many bunkers. Captain Domozhirov and I share a four step wide, fifteen step long dugout bunker with two windows. It is warm in the bunker, and yesterday it was 12 degrees Réaumur inside. It’s very low inside and impossible to stand up completely, and so we always walk stooped low, for fear of losing our heads. 500 feet from us, the Germans dug trenches in broad daylight. I shot three of them for their brazenness. And thus I have avenged Burlikov, a hussar from our squadron. He was wounded in the head while crossing the river at night, returning from the field patrol to our trench.

My writing was just interrupted by a report that Hussar Filippov has been killed. As it turns out, the bullet went through a porthole and straight into his forehead. The exit hole in his head was large. It was interesting that our hussars did not want to remove his fur coat, even though it was a very good one. “Let it remain there.” I pity him. He was a glorious hussar, but the future is always uncertain. If this continues we will lose 2 people a day, and that is very sad.

At about 3 in the afternoon, gunfire began from the Germans. We remained silent, since we did not have enough ammunition. The Germans fired from our 3-inch cannon, which they recovered outside of Soldau. It’s a good thing they didn’t remove the pins from the explosives and so they did not detonate.