About Sanjay Khanna, Canadian Journalist and Founder of Resilient People

Biography courtesy of the Huffington Post:

Sanjay Khanna is a writer, journalist, futurist, and Co-founder of Resilient People, which provides guidance on preparing for economic and climate shifts. A 2009 TED Fellow nominee, Sanjay co-founded the world’s first conference exploring how climate change and ecological degradation threaten people’s mental health and well-being — and how resilience can be encouraged as the pressures on humanity multiply.

Sanjay’s articles and op-eds on arts, culture, politics, technology, the economy, the environment, and community resilience have been published by YES!Nature, Grist,ReutersWorldchangingThe TyeeSun-Times News Group, and Communication Arts. He blogs at Realistic Sanctuary, where he explores the implications of economic instability and climate change.

A visionary thinker, Sanjay has synthesized environmental, social, technology, and mental-health trends for the likes of Hewlett-Packard, Nokia Corp., and Yamaha Motor Corp., USA. His perspective on global affairs has been informed by scenario-planning training with senior strategists from oil majors, financial institutions, manufacturers, and the U.S. government.

Today Sanjay’s focus is on helping civil society, governments, and the private sector to recognize and address the psychological, social, and cultural impacts of climate change within their organizations and as part of an external mandate to safeguard communities around the world from climate change impacts.

Sanjay holds an MFA in creative nonfiction from the University of British Columbia and a bachelor’s degree in education. He is a member of the International Federation of Journalists and the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada.

Contact Sanjay on Twitter: www.twitter.com/Sanjay1

Want videos featuring this interviewee? Sanjay Khanna Videos

About Brett Shollenberger

Brett '350' Shollenberger is a 2011 graduate of Dickinson College. He has recently conducted a review of Dickinson's Climate Action Plan, served as lead author on a climate ethics thesis for the Penn State Rock Ethics Conference and presented at the 2010 Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education Conference. You should give him a job! Brett Shollenberger Brett's Blog!
This entry was posted in Canada, North America, Resilient People and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to About Sanjay Khanna, Canadian Journalist and Founder of Resilient People

1. Hi, there, Team COP 15 at Dickinson:

Great job on the interviews with me. Thank you, I appreciate it.

One correction: I’m flattered to be called an American journalist, but it turns out I’m Canadian.

Warm regards,
    Sanjay

Sanjay Khanna

Writer, journalist, futurist, and Co-founder of Resilient People, which provides guidance on preparing for economic and climate shifts

2. Brett Shollenberger says:

Thanks for the feedback (and the interviews) Sanjay! Sorry for the confusion in my notes; you’re all fixed up on the site now!

-Brett Shollenberger

3. Thanks, Brett! Did you find the interview useful? If so, what in particular touched/struck you?

One more request: Could you swap out the current HuffPo bio for the updated one I recently put up at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sanjay-khanna?

Also, feel free to add my Twitter handle: http://www.twitter.com/Sanjay1 or @Sanjay1

The Resilient People handle is: http://www.twitter.com/resilientpeople or @resilientpeople

Cheers,
    Sanjay

4. Brett Shollenberger says:

Ha, I think we would get along pretty well, Sanjay. I regret that I wasn’t able to be there for your original interview, but I appreciate the perspective I’ve been given by being able to review all of our videos (well, the ones that made it home from Copenhagen), and create this database. Your position as a journalist (this is my position as well) seems to allow you to take a step back from the negotiations and offer refreshingly honest insights into climate change. I suppose I would say I identified most with your statements (I’m paraphrasing from what I remember) that this is a generation of problems we don’t want to accept and threats we don’t want to talk about–but therein is the true issue: we need an transparent, readily-available discourse to communicate the dilemmas we’re about to face. I’ll get your bio up here in a second.

-Brett

5. Brett Shollenberger says:

Sanjay, I thought you might be interested in some of the articles on my blog from Dickinson this year; specifically, I think the Jewish Environmental Ethics article is a very fascinating interaction between religion and climate ethics!
    http://brettshollenberger.wordpress.com/2011/04/08/reduce-reuse-recycle-plotz/