This online exhibit for Professor Heather Bedi’s Environmental and Social Justice class allows Dickinson College students to reflect on environmental injustices and demographic trends in their neighborhood, town, city, or state. In defining just sustainabilities, Agyeman et al. (2003) argue that social and economic inequalities across place exacerbate environmental injustices. They advocate for human equality to be central in sustainability efforts. Students explore (un) just sustainabilities in their place through a paper and a publicly exhibited zero-waste visual or audio project.

DC Ward 8 food insecurities- Unjust Sustainability.

The first map depicts the percentage of African Americans living in each Ward of D.C. There are a total of 8 Wards that compose the District of Columbia. The second map shows the percentage of obese adults in each ward of D.C. The map shows the number of grocery stores in each ward. When there is a higher African American population there tends to be less grocery stores. This is why the percentage of obese adults are higher in areas where there are less grocery stores.

The place I chose for my unjust sustainabilities project is Ward 8 in Washington, D.C. The Ward 8 area consists of twelve neighborhoods. The neighborhoods are Anacostia, Barry Farm, Bellevue, Buena Vista, Congress Heights, Douglass, Fairlawn, Garfield Heights, Knox Hill, Shipley Terrace, and Washington Highlands. I lived in Washington D.C. for ten years of my life until my family moved to a suburb outside of D.C. The focal theme I chose is food access because my childhood in D.C consisted a lot of my family making trips to grocery stores together. Little did I know as a child that having groceries stores in a walkable distance is a luxury that many families don’t have. This focal theme is important to me because I lived in an affluent neighborhood in D.C called Glover Park. During my ten years living in D.C I visited Ward 8 less than five times. That area was deemed as dangerous and uncivilized, but as a kid I didn’t know that redlining, environmental bads, poverty, and underfunded education were the reasons behind the failures of those neighborhoods. That is why I chose to examine the disproportional differences of food access in Ward 8 and the neighborhoods comprising Ward 8.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1XMNwgA_fsYRGYbEimWnGcw2E43i_6TQcD7-Cdm7F2J8/edit?usp=sharing

« »