Reading List: Of Monsters and Men, Megan Salerno

**Secondary/Theoretical Works (3-5)
1. Baldick, Chris. In Frankenstein’s Shadow: Myth, Monstrosity, and Nineteenth-Century Writing. Oxford: Clarendon, 2001. Print.
2. Carroll, Noël. “Ethnicity, Race, and Monstrosity: The Rhetorics of Horror and Humor.” Engaging the Moving Image, Yale University Press, New Haven; London, 2003, pp. 88–107. JSTOR,
3. Malchow, H. L. “Frankenstein’s Monster and Images of Race in Nineteenth-Century Britain.” Past & Present, no. 139, 1993, pp. 90–130. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/651092.
4. Lancaster, Ashley Craig. “From Frankenstein’s Monster to Lester Ballard: The Evolving Gothic Monster.” Midwest Quarterly, vol. 49, no. 2, Winter2008, pp. 132-148.
5. Smith, Andrew, and William Hughes, editors. The Victorian Gothic: An Edinburgh Companion. Edinburgh University Press, 2012.

**Academic Journal(s)
1. Interdisciplinary Studies in the Long Nineteenth Century
2. Victorian Literature and Culture

**Key Terms
1. Monstrosity
2. Intersectionality
3. Normativity
4. Grotesque
5. Gothic

**How This List Was Formulated/Questions Framing My Inquiry
In preparing to construct this preliminary reading list, I had to first frame my thoughts around the central questions of “What constitutes a monster?” and “Why have monsters been created within literary works, particularly those of the Victorian era?” Working with both Professor Seiler of Dickinson College and Professor Claire Broome-Saunders of Oxford University, I discerned that it would be in my best interest to not only broaden my selected time period from the Victorian era to the 19th century in order to gain a more holistic view of the concept of monstrosity, but to look at monsters as beings that possess both a displeasing aesthetic, as well as an assumed set of moral characteristics that are largely derived from the monster’s outward appearance. Furthermore, through my discussions with professors and classmates and my engagement in literary research, I also began to gain a better understanding of the ways in which literary monsters of the 19th century existed as more than just vehicles for entertainment – they largely served as figures or symbols of the societal fears of their times. For this reason, I have framed this reading list not only around the way in which monsters were constructed and evolved within the 19th century (see “From Frankenstein’s Monster to Lester Ballad”), but also around the way in which monsters embodied 19th century fears regarding race, ethnicity, religion, and gender.
Because this topic offers me the chance to shed light on the ways in which society and its cultural, aesthetic norms lead to the construction of an “other,” it is also important that my thesis touch on “normativity” and what were considered societal and aesthetic norms within 19th century. By outlining what internal and external characteristics are concerned “normal,” I will be able to better outline why people of the 19th century feared and rejected certain members of society.
Lastly, it is also important to note that much of this reading list originated from my love of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and the way in which it engages with the concept of monstrosity in relation to gender (monster and creator are often feminized), religion (societal fear of Godlessness), and the cruelty of society (arguably the monster begins as the kindest being in the novel). By using Frankenstein as a starting point, I have had the ability to digress into the ways in which the themes in Frankenstein are present in other 19th century literary pieces and begin to explore the ways that monsters have been represented on the stage and in film.
In the upcoming weeks, I plan to further develop this reading list by speaking with Professor Menon about the concepts of colonization, resistance, and “the other’ and speaking with Professor Moffat about the overarching Victorian era.

2 thoughts on “Reading List: Of Monsters and Men, Megan Salerno”

1. I think this is a rich area for research and you’ve covered many of the bases necessary to fully understand the “othering” you are studying. I would also ask, why was “normativity” heightened in the nineteenth century, as opposed to other time periods? “Fitting in” has been a survival tactic throughout cultures, but why were the Georgians and Victorians so strict and dire about it? Investigating this question may elicit a more developed understanding of the culture’s (or monarch’s) fears.

1. Megan, I love this thesis idea. I can’t wait to check out your research. Frankenstein is one of my favorite books when read on its own, but when you read it in conjunction with the biography of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, it transcends the category of art and becomes a true masterpiece. The monster is, in my opinion, an allegory for Shelley herself, and the grief she felt in her own life. She, too, never experienced proper parental relations, and she carried this hardship with her throughout her life. This is why the novel places so much importance on parenthood and creation. Maybe check these out in the library:

Hill-Miller, Katherine. “My Hideous Progeny”: Mary Shelley, William Godwin, and the Father-Daughter Relationship. Newark: University of Delaware Press, 1995. Print.

and

Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft, and Betty T. Bennett. Selected Letters of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins UP, 1995. Print.