Advanced Environmental Research and Transformative Sustainability Exchange

Introduction Post

Hello!

My name is Scarlett, and I am currently majoring in International Business and Management at Dickinson College. I am in my third year, and I decided to branch off a little from my regular business classes to focus on the study of energy transitions this semester. Mainly I have focused on studying finance and marketing, but I have always had a draw toward the sustainable aspect and specifically clean energy. Through Dickinson, I have been a part of the EcoLeague Program where I spent a semester studying in Alaska where I got to first handedly see the effects climate change has had on glaciers.

I have traveled around the world a lot, yet I call Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania my home. I live about 45 minutes outside of the city in a mix between a rural and a suburban community. My home is located on a horse farm where we train horses, and they have lots of pasture to roam about. The values instilled into my family are based on hard work, but also always enjoying your work at the same time. My family tries to shift our everyday practices to more sustainable options. Around four years ago we rescued a beehive and now we host bees and extract honey every season. We try to use every part of the honeycombs by making candles with wax, lip balms, and of course honey. We also raise our own chickens and try to source our food locally. Each summer we have our own small garden in our backyard where we grow tomatoes, zucchini, lettuce, peppers, and other vegetables. Another transition we have made is always trying to remember to bring reusable bags to the grocery store.

In my town, we do not have a huge sustainability component, but I think everyone is slowly growing more conscious of the environment. However, since we live in a more rural community, everywhere we travel is usually by vehicle. Our town roadways are not set up to be compatible with bicyclists, yet we do have lots of biking trails that link from Pittsburgh, PA to Washington, DC.  Currently, the town leaders are doing more to build green infrastructure in our community. Our town just signed a $3 billion dollar project proposal for stormwater management. This will help with local flooding and complying with the Clean Water Act along with the PA Department of Environmental Protection. I would like to see more sustainable growth in my community in the near future.

In my high school growing up, we received a grant to build a greenhouse to teach students about global environmental concerns and realize the connection that science, technology, engineering, the arts and mathematics have in a real-world setting. This has been a growing initiative at our high school where students are immersed in the process of growing, caring for, and selling vegetables from seeds.

I am excited to be a part of this research team this semester to not only learn more about energy transition but to be able to interact with a new group of people on my campus and on yours. I am looking forward to meeting you all soon!

Next Post

Previous Post

1. Sara Alblooshi February 5, 2023

Hello Scarlett! It was wonderful to hear about the initiatives you, your family, and your community have undertaken regarding sustainability and all the accomplishments that will surely have a lasting impact. As we share a similar vision in the UAE, hearing about your initiative to carry reusable bags as a small step towards a sustainable environment as well as the growth of your town’s awareness of green infrastructure is fascinating to hear put into action. Likewise, to reduce the use of plastic, we recently started a similar initiative with plastic grocery bags as we were accustomed to using them. Efforts were made by the government to reduce plastic use by implementing paid grocery bags, which resulted in households and individuals switching to reusable bags.

Your interest in sustainability and clean energy really branches off from your normal studies, which is intriguing. Since you seem to take part in different aspects of promoting sustainability, do you think it is something you would be interested in pursuing and taking on more initiatives and actions in the near future and do you believe adequate measures have been taken to achieve a more sustainable environment?

• Scarlett February 5, 2023

Hi Sara,

That’s amazing to hear that the government mandated a reduction in plastic. I think that is definitely a small switch in the right direction. Answering the question you asked, I think I will always be trying to implement changes in my life to reduce my carbon trace. I believe there is also a lot of room for improvement for large companies and towns to start taking more green initiatives. I would love to see this process happen rapidly, yet they do take some time.

2. Mohammad February 5, 2023

Good day, Scarlett

Fantastic to hear from you! Your background and enthusiasm for renewable energy and sustainability are motivating. You have unique and priceless experiences with the EcoLeague program, keeping bees, growing your own food, and being a part of a neighborhood that values sustainability and hard work. With the $3 billion stormwater management project, your municipality is making great strides toward a more sustainable future. It’s excellent that your high school is taking the initiative to use a greenhouse to teach pupils about environmental issues; I have no doubt that this will have a lasting influence on future generations.

• Aydarus Abdi February 5, 2023

Hello Scarlett,

It’s great to read about your background and interest in sustainable energy as well as the environment. Your experiences in international business and management, as well as your involvement in the Ecoleague program, show your commitment to making a positive impact. Your family’s sustainability practices, such as beekeeping, gardening, and reducing waste, are inspiring and demonstrate your personal values. I’m sure you will be a valuable addition to the research team, and I look forward to seeing the impact you will make in this field. Good luck on your studies and projects this semester!

3. Yukti February 5, 2023

Hi Scarlett,

It’s so wonderful to hear about your values at home, and I love that your family is part of your sustainability efforts. It’s great that they’ve instilled the value of striking a balance between hard work and enjoying the work in you. I see you implementing the same in your life. I was wondering if you had any personal passion projects in the realm of sustainability that you wished to pursue now or once you’re out of university?

4. Aydarus Abdi February 5, 2023

Hello Scarlett,

5. Marian Farah February 5, 2023

Hi Scarlett, I hope you and your family are doing well!!

It is very inspiring what you and your family are doing to protect the environment, as not many families are able achieve that. I love bees and it’s amazing that you saved and helped them. They are important for our ecosystems to reproduce and pollinate the plants that feed us. I appreciate the hard work you are putting into the world to make it a better place for the next generations. I also come from a small rural community, and I understand that it can be hard to be eco-friendly, due to having fewer options. However, I am glad that there is awareness spreading in your community and there are small initiatives taking place. You are all leading by example for everyone to follow and welcome the change that needs to take place. You look stunning in the picture and the background view is breath-taking. I hope we can all battle climate change and protect our environment for the next generations to come.

6. Rental24h January 29, 2024

The trip to Milan in a rented car became special. They decided to visit the nearby forest and took part in cleaning up garbage. Walking in the nature reserve, they not only enjoyed nature, but also helped to preserve its purity. In the evenings, they prepared meals on the grill, enjoying peace and harmony with nature.