Advanced Environmental Research and Transformative Sustainability Exchange

Blog #3: Noah’s Germany Trip and Surveying Thoughts

We have just returned from our Mosaic trip to Germany! Those of us taking an independent study as apart of this program also conducted surveys with 10 German residents on our respective topics.

For my topic, I am researching how has the German government included support for workers in the coal industry in the legal and policy frameworks during its transition away from coal. Looking at this issue from an environmental justice perspective, I have noted how important it is to have stakeholder input in government aid legislation, and the need to include all populations in a just transition. The literature I have reviewed outlines how social security and retirement benefits are a large part of support, with hard coal workers being able to retire early due to the age of the workforce. Further, the Coal Commission was one of the first steps towards a bottom-up approach with stakeholders included. I have seen how the German government layers its support, with more overarching federal support in terms of social security and safety net extensions, while some state governments have put more funds into moving their coal-dependent communities towards other initiatives.

In my surveys, I found that few people felt that there was adequate government support for coal workers. Most of their knowledge was of repurposing coal plants into tourism areas, which is largely the work of states. Some felt there was some support directly to people but most did not know of this or felt there was not enough. Germany plans to phase out its coal plants by 2038 at the latest, which is the framing for my research: Will workers in this industry be supported? However, given the current energy crisis in Germany, I included a question about how the current war and atrocities in Ukraine have affected this transition. The underlying feeling I gleaning from my surveying was that coal was harmful but that Germany was left without options.

Overall, it was great to see the differences in German infrastructure and culture I experienced there. The public transportation is something I continue to return to, as it was incredibly developed when compared to my home country. I think Germany displayed a stronger culture of sustainability than the U.S., with much more parks and preserved areas, but their current energy crisis has upset many of their plans.

Next Post

Previous Post

1. Haneen El Sharif April 8, 2023

Thank you Noah for delivering these rich insights in an interesting and concise way. To start, I would like to say that it is great to see Germany putting effort towards moving away from coal, as it is significantly polluting. In fact, coal is the most polluting method to produce electricity. This is because massive volumes of pollution are released when coal is mined and then burned in power plants, harming human health and accelerating climate change. It has been stimulating for my brain to think about the government’s role and contributions in regards to Germany’s coal industry, the workers involved in it, and the environment. A decrease in the reliance on coal is great for everybody, but what happens to the workers whose only income comes from working in that industry? It seems as if the country is doing great in terms of providing social security support and retirement plans, but some of your survey respondents appear to think that these initiatives are not enough. Personally, I agree with them. Social support and safety nets are great, but will the workers be able to sustain their standards of living after Germany phases out its coal plants in a few years? Is the government’s support enough to make up for eliminating an entire industry? Are these circumstances fair? It would be great to know your answers to these questions, and thank you again.

2. Sarah Qaddumi April 9, 2023

Noah, your insights were insightful and to the point, and I appreciated the information you shared on Germany’s move away from coal. From my research on this issue, I have discovered that coal mining and burning in power plants have severe environmental impacts. These include ground depressions, disrupted hydrology, and damage to the landscape. Moreover, the rivers and streams of Germany have been polluted with coal dust, phenol, and other coal-related pollutants. Thus, the transition away from coal is a positive step for the country.

However, I have some concerns about the survey results, as I believe that while the German government is taking significant measures to support workers, more needs to be done. Retirement plans and social security are essential, but they may not be sufficient to support the workers who depend solely on the coal industry for income. According to my research, the average cost of living in Germany is around €30,084, which raises questions about whether these safety nets are enough to maintain a decent standard of living.

I believe that the government should provide additional support and resources to workers who are affected by the transition away from coal. This could include retraining programs, education initiatives, or job opportunities in other industries. It is crucial to ensure that workers’ livelihoods are not disrupted and that they have access to the resources they need to succeed. Overall, I am optimistic about Germany’s efforts to move away from coal, but it is important to consider the impact on workers and provide support accordingly.

3. Luna Al Mallah April 9, 2023

Noah, wow! It seems amazing that your program includes a trip to Germany. I wish similar programs were available at our university! Environmental justice must be considered while assessing this topic. Your research on the German government’s support for coal sector employees during its coal transition is intriguing. A fair transition that includes all populations and the perspectives of individuals affected by government aid legislation are equally important.

It’s important to remember that Germany’s energy crisis may have limited the government’s ability to help coal sector workers. Some workers may prefer to stay in coal, while others may wish to leave. So, aiding industrial employees and converting to greener energy sources must be balanced.

Germany’s culture of sustainability is inspirational, but it’s important to note that the country has been criticized for its continued use of coal-fired power plants and failure to meet emissions targets. Considering these criticisms, some may see the government’s help for coal sector workers as inadequate.

A sensible transition away from coal that takes into consideration all stakeholders is necessary, but it’s also important to realize Germany’s challenging transitional challenges. Your blog article’s combination of research and personal experience is encouraging, and I look forward to reading more about your findings.

4. Aydarus Abdi April 9, 2023

Thank you, Noah, for sharing your research findings and experience regarding Germany’s transition away from coal. It is encouraging that the government is making sure to support the coal workers as it can during this transition. It’s also encouraging and important that the stakeholder’s input is being integrated with the policymaking in this transition. It is unfortunate to hear that some people in your surveys felt that there was sufficient government support for coal workers, despite the efforts made by the Coal Commission and some state governments. It is also concerning to hear about the current energy crisis in Germany due to the war in Ukraine and Russia and how it may impact the transition away from coal. There could be more concern due to further geopolitical instability with tensions in other locations rising such as in Pakistan, and Taiwan, as well the ongoing conflict in the Palestinian region. All these conflicts around the world could cause increased pressure on the current energy crisis. Furthermore, I agree that it is critical to tackle this issue through the lens of environmental justice and to guarantee that all of the population are included in a just transition. It is also important to note the importance of social security and retirement plans for coal workers. Your post has made me rethink the complexities included in the transition. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and I’d be interested in learning more about your studies and experiences in Germany. What influence do you believe the current energy crisis will have on the government’s goal to phase out coal plants by 2038?