Advanced Environmental Research and Transformative Sustainability Exchange

Blog #4: Literature Review and Conclusions

Hello! For my last post, I am going to go over my survey findings and how they relate to what the literature says. As well, I want to reflect on what people had to say and what I learned from the literature and how it relates to sustainability. My research project is based on Germany’s transition away from coal, specifically about how Germany is supporting coal workers that will inevitably lose their jobs. My literature shows that there are is variety of government programs that support coal workers. Some are done through extended retirement and social security measures, while others are expressly funding the investment into rehabilitating coal-reliant areas. Federal funding seems to mostly be through SS and retirement, and provides funding to the states to support communities. I found this very interesting and intent to further research what provisions exist in Germany that directly and indirectly support coal workers.
My surveying asked a selection of questions, aiming to gauge the publics’ knowledge of coal-worker supporting policy and their own opinions on the transition. I asked questions like “Has there been government help to aid communities that used to be based on coal” and “in your opinion, what are the challenges in communities with economies that used to be based on coal?” These questions aimed to gauge understanding and other provisions people knew of. On the other hand, I asked questions asking about if they supported closing coal plants and about unemployment to see what their perceptions of the transition were and if there was other support I did not know of. Largely, my respondents did not know of direct support but did bring up the transformation in the Ruhr valley of coal mines into tourism areas, which I now will research further. They were nearly all supporters of green energy and the closure of coal mines, and while I did not interview any coal workers, all respondents had some knowledge of the transition.
Many of my respondents supported the import of coal into Germany, a practice Germany has been forced to do in light of the recent war in Russia against Ukraine. They support it out of necessity, and all cited that they didn’t see another solution. Importing coal is obviously far worse for the environment, but many felt that the political effects of continuing Russia gas would be too harmful. Unfortunelty, I think this shows just how important politics to global sustainability. It is not as simple as implementing the right infrastructure and starting it. People will lose their jobs regardless, and there will always be political consequences.

Next Post

Previous Post

1. Sara Alblooshi April 16, 2023

Dear Noah,

It was great to hear about your experience and journey as a result of your research into Germany’s move away from coal and the literature to support that inquiry.

It is quite interesting to see how individuals were unsure of direct support regarding unemployment as a result of the closing of coal mines, however, led you to know of a different scenario of the closing of Ruhr Valley coal mines and establishing a tourism area instead. However, it is disappointing to see how politics influence and have an impact on global sustainability as a whole.

Moreover, when looking at the country I live in, the import of coal is valid here as well and the consumption is ever-increasing. While the closure of coal plants is important, the contribution of climate change through importing coal is existent as well. What do you think is the best optimal solution to reduce the consumption of coal?

2. Sarah Abdulazeez April 16, 2023

Dear Noah,
    I was pleased to see how your conclusion about the survey and literature review have developed. The findings of your survey highlight some interesting points about the public’s knowledge and perception of Germany’s transition away from coal. It is encouraging to see that most of your respondents were supporters of green energy and the closure of coal mines. However, it is also concerning that many of them supported the import of coal, even though it is worse for the environment. This shows that politics and external factors play a significant role in the sustainability transition, and it’s not just about implementing the right infrastructure and technologies.

Your literature review reveals that there are various government programs that support coal workers, including extended retirement and social security measures, and funding for rehabilitating coal-reliant areas. It is essential to study these provisions to understand how they can help the affected workers and communities during the transition.

It is also noteworthy that some respondents mentioned the transformation of coal mines into tourism areas, which could be an excellent opportunity for economic growth and sustainable development in those regions. Exploring this further could provide insights into how to create alternative economic opportunities for communities that rely on coal mining.

Finally, I was wondering how do you think you would address your research in terms of the transformation in the Ruhr valley of coal mines into tourism areas?

3. Yukti April 16, 2023

Dear Noah,

Thank you for sharing your research project and survey findings on Germany’s transition away from coal. Your post was informative and provided valuable insights into the government programs that support coal workers, as well as the public’s perception of the transition.

I appreciate the efforts you put into your survey and how you aimed to gauge the public’s knowledge of coal-worker supporting policy and their opinions on the transition. It is interesting to note that many respondents did not know about direct support, but highlighted the transformation of coal mines into tourism areas in the Ruhr valley. I am curious to know more about this transformation and how it is supporting the local communities.

It is also concerning to learn that many respondents supported the import of coal into Germany due to the recent war in Russia against Ukraine. This raises questions about the sustainability of such a decision, and the long-term effects on the environment and the economy. It is clear that politics play a significant role in global sustainability, and it is important to find solutions that balance environmental and economic concerns.

In light of your findings, I wonder if there are any examples of successful transitions away from coal in other countries that Germany could learn from? Additionally, what steps can individuals take to support the transition and help coal workers during this challenging time?

Thank you for sharing your research and thoughts on this important topic.

Best regards,

Yukti

4. Olivia Wilde September 14, 2023

https://www.mycfavisit.blog/survey/ is a website designed for customers to provide feedback about their dining experiences at Chick-fil-A. It aims to collect valuable customer insights to help improve the overall dining experience. Also, they offer a free sandwich for the survey winners.