Alumni Weekend

Event information: Alumni weekend ‘Alumni College, Useful Education for the Common Good’ presentation, June 9, Kaufman Hall

Week one of my ALLARM summer experience started off with preparation for an Alumni Weekend event that took place on June 9. I presented with two of my colleagues about ALLARM’s mission and reach, how the student experience at ALLARM is unique to Dickinson and provided some background water quality information. Presenting to fellow Dickinsonians gave me the opportunity to reflect on my past 4 semesters at ALLARM and what I have learned. Then we tied the whole presentation together with a hands-on activity where participants tested water from around the local area. Alumni learned how to calibrate the LaMotte Tracer PockeTester conductivity meter and ran LaMotte nitrate tests. It was fun introducing alumni to equipment that our trained volunteers use. From the data, the participants had to piece together where each sample was meant to represent, either the headwaters of Mountain Creek, the Susquehanna River below Harrisburg, or a stream in Lancaster County. The response and support from alumni were so empowering and reminded me how grateful I am to be a part of the ALLARM team this summer.