Timeline | Thornwald Estate | Public Ownership| Debate over use | Converted mansion into retirement home | Dedication of Thornwald Park |The amphitheater | The land | Historical Resources|Photo Gallery
1909: Lewis S. Sadler begins construction of “Thornwald” mansion and grounds
1911: Construction completed
1922: Lewis Sadler dies- passes estate to his brother Sylvester B. Sadler
1931: Sylvester Sadler dies- passes estate to younger brother Horace T. Sadler
1953: May 27 Horace Sadler sells estate to The Evangelical Reformed Church
- Converted mansion into retirement home– later used 11 acres of land to build new modern retirement home
1972: Carlisle School District purchases the “Homewood Site” (mansion and 32 acres of original estate)
1975: Carlisle Borough buys it from the School District with a $350.000 “preservation” grant
August 15, 1976: Dedication of Thornwald Park
1979: Amphitheater is built along with jogging trails
1999: Auction for the Mansion, the bidder does not come forward
2007: The Mansion burns down – supposedly from arson
2010: Rkia Hall purchases the Mansion and restores it.
2013 : Mansion opens as a bed and breakfast, spa, and wedding venue.