Image Collections in Archives of Judge Samuel Hepburn

Today I located some pictures of Samuel Hepburn and his family homes. 

Judge Samuel Hepburn (Cumberland County Historical Society)

At the Cumberland County Historical Society, I researched and found the only image they had of Judge Samuel Hepburn.  This was a case photo (Catalog number ID 03-F-05 and P.2007.039) , which resembles a mirror with the image of the Judge.  A case photo is similar to a book and when you open it, the picture of Judge Hepburn is visible.  The case protects the fragile nature of the image. I could not determine when the photo was taken or by whom.  The information only indicated that it was a photo at the beginning of his career. 

The other photos I discovered were in the genealogy drop file of the Hepburn family.  Many items appeared in the drop file, but I focused only on Judge Hepburn and the time when he was alive.

Old Hepburn House on West Pomfret Street (Cumberland County Historical Society)

Front Door of Judge Hepburn's House on East High Street (Cumberland County Historical Society)

While I was looking for images, I found one photo of the front door of Judge Hepburn’s house on East High Street and an older Hepburn house on West Pomfret Street.  This house was later Lloyd Hall, a dorm for Dickinson College women and then an apartment. I continued to search for other photos such as family portraits, but to no avail.  The librarians indicated that this was the only image of Judge Hepburn or his family that they knew existed. 

The genealogy file told me that they did not have a family portrait due to the disappearance of Judge Hepburn’s son, Samuel Hepburn Jr.  This “disappearance” intrigued me and piqued my interest to keep searching for more information and images of Hepburn.

One Response to Image Collections in Archives of Judge Samuel Hepburn

1. Matthew Pinsker says:

Good work, but you need to provide a clearer road map / citation so that somebody else can obtain the same photos you found. The drop file is clear enough but where is the case photo? Also, whenever possible provide the image (as scanned copy, cell phone photograph, etc.) itself in your post. It looks like in this case that’s not realistic, but keep it in mind.