Final Blog: Lessons from the Research Project

While working on this research project, some key lessons surfaced that would benefit future history students.  One of these lessons, which may appear simple after going through the process, is to remain patient and determined when searching for historical items.  If a student gives up after the first few tries, then they are not truly dedicated to the research. 

Another lesson is that many of the most successful searches yield results after examining the most obvious sources.  Looking at secondary sources produces a sufficient background and drop files in the archives help as well, but sources outside the main scope of the research are the most beneficial.  When searching for Judge Hepburn’s photos and information, I limited myself to Pennsylvania and his time serving as a lawyer and judge in Cumberland County.  I needed to search other places such as the records relating to US Supreme Court where he served as an attorney.  After completing these tasks, I found more pertinent information.  New information is present in unexpected places, but diligence and having a quest for knowledge is imperative in order to achieve this. 

It is important to build on previous knowledge, which is what I did on this research.  The experience and techniques I acquired last year in History 204 gave me a basis for my current work.  I realize that research is an on-going process and actually never ending, because there are always facts and information to uncover.