When I write research papers I begin with trying to find out as much background information as possible. Like many other people I just use google and find out the basics. After I think I have a good sense of the material I then try to find out what the argument or problem is and find out both sides. This helps me create an argument of my own. After this I tend to then go to class notes because this reveals exactly what the professor finds important and steers me in the right direction. I then find my main points. This is the hardest part, because this will be the main chunk of my paper and choosing wrong can cause a paper to stink. Like I said I go back to class notes and then check sources to see what has the most material. This whole process is tricky and one mistake can cause you to have to go back to the beginning.

While reading Methods and Skills I realized a huge mistake I make while writing papers: I tend to use arguments and make them facts. I should know that even when I make an argument I take the facts I need and use them to my advantage, even if it stretches out the actual point. While researching I need to find more primary sources because those can’t be argued with and that is where a huge improvement can be made in my writing.