What I have learned so far

Much of the course material I have found quite eye-opening. However, what has stood to me most distinctly is the influence of satellite television and has changed my perspective of how I look at television entirely. Seeing the influence that the invention has had on the region is truly astounding as television is something nearly everybody takes for granted in the West and specifically the United States. What I have found most interesting about satellite television is some countries governments reaction to it, specifically Iran. The outlaw on satellite television truly speaks to the power it holds and how disruptive it can be to a totalitarian government such as the one in Iran. Additionally, another thing I have found interesting is that despite the ban satellite television is still commonly used in the area even by common people. Seeing the lengths that some people will go to access the medium has lead me to perceive television differently, both in terms of accessibility but also in terms of influence.