Otherness

In many instances, the concepts of self and other tend to be fluid and dependent upon environment. For instance, in my hometown this idea has been clearly displayed throughout my life with both myself and others experiencing both inclusion and exclusion. As a child, the idea of “otherness” was consistently present. Multiple times throughout my childhood this feeling was common and a part of my daily life. This feeling was very prevalent in social interactions with others as exclusion was a common part of my developmental years. This could be for a multitude of reasons which ranged from general interest towards poor relationships with members of the group. Regardless of reasoning, the result was always the same.  When excluded, I would develop a sense of bitterness or distrust from the group that was excluding whether or not I was friendly with some individuals in that group. Although it is natural, this shows how when one feels excluded people and myself tend to look at the group rather than individuals and associated negative traits of the group with each individual. This mindset, when applied on a larger scale can be incredibly dangerous and be a hindrance towards reconciliation or even communication as a whole. Resolving these issues can be incredibly challenging once a negative perception of a group is applied.

Alternatively, viewing people as “others” can be a very difficult situation. Socially, it is important to not foster feelings of hate or divisiveness due to differences that could ultimately be bridged. However, this does not always stop such feelings from being developed. Groups that perceive people of others may have feelings of dominance or higher prestige for many reasons. Once again, limiting these feelings and being realistic in your assessment should help bridge these gaps and foster an inclusive environment.

One response to “Otherness”