Where Are They Now? Laura Hechtlinger ‘12

Since graduating in 2012 with a double major in Russian and History, I’ve been working as a Research and Administrative Intern at the Center on National Security at Fordham Law School in New York City. My work has focused primarily on event planning; we host a variety of conferences and panel discussions on topics related to national security and the law, which I’ve had the opportunity to be involved with. This past summer I was also able to focus more on different research projects being done by the Center, mostly in relation to domestic terrorism trials. Outside my work at CNS, I’ve spent some of my free time doing freelance translations. I’ve found contractors independently online, through sites such as odesk.com  and elance.com, and I’ve worked with them to complete different Russian to English translation projects. My largest project so far has been a translation of an educational language-learning website, where I translated the “About” and “FAQ” sections (about 50 pages of text). The Workshop in Translation I took my senior year at Dickinson was definitely vital in preparing me for the translations I’ve done so far. Also, I spent the past few weeks working at the US Open tennis championship, where I had the chance to speak with a lot of visitors and tennis players from all over the world, including Russia! As you’ll see in the photo, over New Year’s I reunited with fellow Russian major, Michael Hoke ‘12.

Picture 15