Peter Guma ‘24 Awarded Fulbright to Uzbekistan

The Russian Department is proud to announce that Peter Guma ‘24, a Russian and Mathematics double major, was just awarded a Fulbright to Uzbekistan! Below Peter answers some questions about the Fulbright process and what comes next. 

What was the Fulbright application process like?
The Fulbright application process was long, time-intensive, and above all, collaborative. Working with Dickinson’s Fulbright Program advisors, professors, and past grant recipients, I revised my Statement of Grant Purpose and Personal Statement nearly a dozen times each. By the national deadline, I was confident I had effectively articulated my commitment to teaching in Uzbekistan. 

What are you most excited about?
I am most excited about being immersed in a Russian-speaking community, especially since I did not get to study abroad in Moscow. As a language enthusiast, the opportunity to learn Uzbek is also exciting! 

What are you most nervous about?
I am most nervous about where Fulbright decides to place me. Depending on the linguistic landscape of my host city, there may be a significant language barrier, at least at first. I could be teaching anywhere from a public high school to a university.  

What has been your favorite Russian class at Dickinson?
I would say that my favorite Russian class at Dickinson was “Philosophy and Literature” with Professors DeBlasio and Mastrangelo. It was a uniquely interdisciplinary course connecting Russian literature to ancient Greek philosophy and drama. Meanwhile, my favorite language course was “Russian for Narration and Analysis” with Professor Dudina. 

What are your plans for after your Fulbright year?
After Fulbright, I plan to pursue an MA in Strategy, Cybersecurity, and Intelligence at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies.