flesh and blood

“‘It must be a wild place.’

‘Yes, the setting is a worthy one. If the devil did desire to have a hand in the affairs of men.’

‘Then you are yourself inclining to the supernatural explanation.’

‘The devil’s agents may be of flesh and blood, may they not?’”(Doyle, 29). 

This quote is an interaction between Holmes and Watson who are discussing the layout of Baskerville Hall after talking to Dr. Mortimer. Watson is the speaker in the first and third lines, and Holmes is the speaker in the second and fourth lines. Watson calling Baskerville Hall “wild” refers to the fact that the house is surrounded by woods(page 28). There is no repetition in this specific quote, but these few pages use the words “supernatural explanation” many times, and the word “supernatural” even more. I think Doyle is trying to throw off the reader by doing this. The idea of an unnaturally massive dog makes the characters and reader jump to a supernatural conclusion, and I think the real answer will be “of flesh and blood” like Holmes says. One reason this quote matters is because I believe this to be foreshadowing for the novella’s final reveal. At least that’s what I think 29 pages in. This section also highlights Sherlock’s uniqueness through his linguistic choices. Both of his two quotes from this passage feel as if they’ve been ripped from the pages of Shakespeare. When reading dialogue from the other characters, it is clear this is from a different time, but they speak conversationally. In my experience with reading, the most flowery lines will come from description/narration instead of dialogue, but so far in The Hound of Baskervilles the flowery prose is entirely quotes from Sherlock. This also illustrates the stark differences between our two main characters. Watson is the narrator, so it makes sense that his quotes and narration maintain the same tone. If I hadn’t specified in the beginning which lines were said by which character, anyone who’s been exposed to these two characters could have guessed which speaker was which. I mentioned in class that nearly every version of Sherlock Holmes is categorized as being neurodivergent in some form. I think Doyle writing Holmes to speak much differently from his peers is one of his ways to emphasize that. I believe the second reason this quote is important is because it sets up Sherlock Holmes as a character, and what the reader should expect from him going forward. 

What I’m trying to say is that this quote from page 29 foreshadows that right now I believe the supernatural theories are a red herring, as well as that Doyles uses Sherlock’s dramatic way of speaking to show his difference from Watson, and his other peers. 

Doyle, Arthur Conan. The Hound of Baskervilles. 1902.