The Darkness Within

The story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is a very gloomy one.  Dr. Lanyon, Dr.Jekyl, and Mr. Utterson were best friends for many years. When Dr. Lanyon sees Dr. Jekyl transform into Mr.Hyde, he decides never to be friends with him again. This scene represents the fact that people can ignore someone’s bad side, and once they see it, nothing can be done to make them forget it. Everyone has a bad side, Dr. Jekyll just found a way to isolate himself. When humans love someone they tend to be blind towards all the bad aspects of them. This is the reason for toxic relationships of any form. Love makes you blind. This side of Dr. Jekyll was there the whole time, however, he just hid it better. In Dr. Jekyll’s letter to Mr. Utterson, he said, “If  I am the chief of sinners, I am the chief of sufferers also. I could not think that this earth contained. a place for sufferings and terrors so unmanning;” (23 Stevenson) Sometimes humans even become blind to their own bad side. People want to think of themselves as good people. Generally speaking, most people try to be good people. However, often times when humans are faced with a moral dilemma they make a more selfish choice. In conclusion, when people see that they or someone else has a darker side, they will forever think of that person differently.

One thought on “The Darkness Within”

1. I really like this point. It is weird, but recently I have been wondering more about how some people are able to forgive their friends and give them more chances when the friend proves they do not have their best interests at heart. I think the part where “love makes you blind” is mentioned is a very good point and is actually something that I never thought about. It is especially not something that I thought about, but I believe it is a very valid point.