McKim sent the following letter to Samuel May on April 9, 1862.

“Phila April 9/62

My dear May:

I have attended to the various [Illegible] Dickinson [illegible] you gave me and I believe all is [illegible] in that direction.

I don’t think we should have any more outbreaks at the north [illegible] abolitionism. Garrison is well & [illegible] but slightly timorous.

I had just remitted $5 to the advocate a day or two before the receipt of your letter informing me that Alfred Webb would now have this collection of publication.

R. D. Webb’s last letter, acknowledging the receipt of some papers I had sent him–did not especially please me. If my European correspondence affords me more pleasure or help at the other side than it does at times, it is hardly worth the time & postage.

I got fond of the English *[1] wonder at the [illegible] with which [illegible] to play, and then amazement at an idolatry of the Union.

Parker Pillsburg is the “clearest [illegible]” writer we have now, as fear from the other side. R.D.W. was delayed with the “[illegible]” of his views in a certain letter to the [illegible] & the Edinburgh [illegible] have [illegible] that letter as a supplement to their annual report. At least I have just rec’d a report upholding the letter as a [illegible] slip as I read the letter it contains statements calculated to make an erroneous impression, and at least one purpose which is therewithal is absurd, and basically must be [illegible]

I hope we will continue to hear good news from you too.

With best regards to Mrs. May and the rest

I am

[illegible]

M McKim”[2]

[1] *You call R.D.W. English-don’t-you?

[2] James Miller McKim to Samuel May, April 9, 1862, Samuel J. May Anti-Slavery Manuscript Collection, no. 4601, Box 20, Folder 10, Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library. [PDF]