Paper Proposal

Paper Proposal

Scope

The problem with the twenty first century, which I will examine, is cyber threats. This paper will specifically focus on the dictatorship of North Korea and their use of cyber hacking to threaten the world economically, politically, and militarily. With the growth of the Internet and social media, cyber hacking has become a popular way for countries to find classified information often times from government networks, and pose public threats to society. Since 2010, according to the South Korean National Intelligence Service (NIS), many of the seventy five thousand hacking attempts on South Korean organizations have been linked to North Korea. I will attempt to illustrate how serious cyber threats are through examples, such as the infamous North Korean Sony Pictures hack in 2014. Most of my information will tend to come from Western sources and media that report on North Korea and cyber threats, so it will be important to make this statement clear as my focus in the introduction. In addition, the paper will address the Marxist characteristics in the North Korean society that make threats of cyber possible and the ultimate intention of destroying and undermining democracy in the West. Although I am focusing on cyber threats to the West, I will discuss the implications of North Korea’s cyber hacking against South Korea and reports of efforts to start a war with them as a catalyst to provoke the West.

Value

I will discuss the importance of cyber and its relevance to the structure of North Korea’s society. I will make note of the dangers of cyber hacking and the reasons why countries like North Korea take action in doing it. North Korean defector Jang Se-Yul claimed that the government started experimenting with cyber hacking in the 1990’s in effort to develop asymmetrical warfare during a period of economic turmoil when military assets were low. This shows that cyber attacks from North Korea could be more lethal and detrimental than any from other nations. One of the sources that I found discusses education, art, and politics evident in North Korea, and how the structure of their society promotes the use of cyber hacking. This leads me to the question: Is North Korea using cyber to attract attention or because they are true threat to the world? In addition, with the growth of social media, Internet, and industries, does North Korea’s cyber use pose a threat to capitalism, and specifically democratic nations? If this is so, should media play a role in making North Korea’s cyber use known to the world as a threat? Will other dictatorships threaten the West with cyber like North Korea? Lastly, if this is such a huge threat to the West, why is it then necessary that democracy be upheld in the twenty-first century?

Originality

The use of cyber and hacking is not a new phenomenon. However, its use is increasing and becoming uncontrollable. The Sony Cyber Attack highlights how important the issue is, as the United States placed sanctions on North Korean businesses. This reflects a democratic and capitalistic nation’s response to cyber threats from a complete state controlled totalitarian regime. To conclude my paper, I will discuss what North Korea represents on a global scale. I will then touch upon the reasoning that since cyber hacking is a huge issue, why should we trust the information and what we read on the internet?

Practicality

My topic is focused on North Korea. There is a lot of media coverage on the country and on cyber hacking in many newspaper articles, and world reports. In my paper it will be important to analyze the authors, their scopes, and where their views are coming from. Government sites might also offer information on my topic. Some of my information will be collected from secondary sources, including scholarly databases and books from the library. These sources will give opinion and critique the problems with the threats to the world. Primary sources will come from specific recounts of cyber hacking. These sources will outline what cyber hacking is and the degree to which it is a threat to society.

Sources

Song, Jiyoung. “How communist is North Korea? From the birth to the death of Marxist ideas of human rights.” Cambridge Review Of International Affairs 23, no. 4 (December 2010): 561-587. Political Science Complete, EBSCOhost (accessed October 1, 2015).

Kim, Young-do, Jin-sung Kim, and Kyung-ho Lee. “Major Issues of the National Cyber Security System in South Korea, and its Future Direction.” Korean Journal Of Defense Analysis 25, no. 4 (December 2013): 435-455. Political Science Complete, EBSCOhost (accessed October 8, 2015).

Lee, Yong-joon, Hyuk-jin Kwon, Jaeil Lee, and Dong-kyoo Shin. 2015. “Development of Countermeasures against North Korean Cyberterrorism through Research Case Studies.” Korean Journal Of Defense Analysis 27, no. 1: 71-86. Political Science Complete, EBSCOhost (accessed October 8, 2015).

Obama Vows Response to North Korea Over Sony Hack. 2014. Lanham: Federal Information & News Dispatch, Inc. http://search.proquest.com/docview/1638583886?accountid=10506.

Haggard, Stephan and Jon R. Lindsay. 2015. “North Korea and the Sony Hack: Exporting Instability through Cyberspace.” Asia – Pacific Issues (117): 1-8. http://search.proquest.com/docview/1690004558?accountid=10506.

“Current North Korean Cyber-Warfare Threat to South Korea would be Key to Potential War-Fighting Strategy.” 2015.Jane’s Intelligence Weekly 7 (6).  http://search.proquest.com/docview/1645004785?accountid=10506.

4 thoughts on “Paper Proposal

1. Jacob, your topic is extremely relevant and your focus on North Korea is very interesting. I liked how you included an article in your “scope” paragraph and how focused your ideas are. Your questions bring up a lot of great points, specifically about the media. The only question I have is how much you’ll be relying on media and opinion articles as opposed to scholarly journals in your research. Other than that, your significance is pretty clear and the originality is as well. Including the Sony Pictures cyberattack brings the topic’s relevancy forward and shows just how significant cyberattacks can be in today’s world.

2. Jacob, I think this is a great topic. North Korea has becoming a looming problem in the 21st century, although many people treat North Korea as a joke. I strongly agree that these hacks pose a serious threat. I think you outline your points clearly, showing the causes and effects. Although I have one issue, your topic encircles the whole world. Maybe you could focus on a certain area, like were North Korean cyber attacks are making the most damage.

3. Jacob, you have chosen a topic of great magnitude with the dangers to national security cyber attacks pose. My only critique is the Marxist elements you mention in the scope, are not mentioned elsewhere in your proposal. While it may be true that North Korean society has facets of Marxism, it is hard to understand how this relates to cyber security when it is not mentioned in the value or originality. Otherwise your sources seem relevant to your topic, and you have a very good focus for the direction and scope. Nicely done, and make sure to relate all background information in some way to cyber security and North Korea.

4. I think this a great topic that is very unique and interesting. I think the magnitude of cyber-hacking is a lot more dangerous that people realize so it will be great to bring awareness to it. I would mention America or another country’s potential actions that could be taken against this problem so the reader could see solutions. Also I would go into more detail about the line “Lastly, if this is such a huge threat to the West, why is it then necessary that democracy be upheld in the twenty-first century?”. I think this is a very thought provoking question and challenges traditional ideas. So I would just go into more detail about this question and explain the significance.