Advanced Environmental Research and Transformative Sustainability Exchange

Survey and Research Description

Hello!

Research Question: How are individuals in German cities motivated to use public transportation or alternative transportation options as forms of commute?

Research Summary: My research question stems from wanting to know on a personal level how individuals in different settings specifically from a German viewpoint, how forms of transportation are decided for commuting. As a person who grew up in the city it was never easy for me to use public transportation for a variety of reasons. A lot of the culture here is surrounded by the need and want for a car. As someone who does not own or know how to drive, I strive to be in a place like Germany. Many people in the US, complain about the struggles behind owning a car but continue to stay loyal to driving.

Based on the readings and knowledge I have gained from being in this mosaic program, the German culture has great appreciation for public transportation but why? Are people motivated because of cost? Sustainability? Convenience? Safety? Etc.

My survey will aim to understand what influences individuals in Germany to commute using public transportation or alternative forms of transportation such as, biking, walking, carpooling, etc. By gathering this information, I want to gain insight from a German perspective to influence our own culture here in the United States.

Survey Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfe33rFb8tLya7mMSS0C84m4ofyH3YWuUD0b3ehTZ6cAhQgng/viewform?usp=pp_url

Bibliography:

Next Post

Previous Post

1. Tala Shihada February 19, 2023

Dear Kiara,
    Thank you for taking the time to share your research question and summary. It’s fascinating to read about your personal transportation experiences and how they inspired your academic interests.
    According to your summary, you are interested in the cultural and sociological variables that lead to the extensive use of public transit in Germany, as well as how those aspects differ from those in the United States. It’s an essential problem, especially as cities throughout the world seek to minimize traffic congestion and pollution.
    One aspect of your topic that may be interesting exploring is the influence of government policies and investments in boosting public transportation. Historically, governments in several European nations have spent considerably in public transit infrastructure, making it a more appealing alternative for commuters. Moreover, measures such as congestion pricing and gasoline tariffs might encourage individuals to adopt alternate modes of transportation.
    As for a question for you, have you considered researching German attitudes and perceptions of public transportation? Knowing why people think it’s a good alternative might help determine how to market it in other nations.

2. Judy afana February 19, 2023

Kiara, Your words have given me a new perspective on this topic. Thank you for taking the time to explain your thoughts. I totally understand what you’re aiming at. I believe people should actually consider using public transportation more often. Generally speaking, taking public transportation is less expensive than owning a car or using a ride-sharing service. You can cut costs associated with parking, maintenance, and gasoline. other than that you can increase your physical activity by taking public transportation, which is beneficial for keeping excellent health. Walking can keep you active and burn calories as you go to and from the bus or train station. In general you really got me thinking about how wasteful owning a car could actually be, after reading your blog I actually read a lot of articles that made me look at things in a new perspective, I’m generally always busy with family and university so I don’t really have the time to exercise so not owning a car could increase and help with my daily activity. I’ve read in an article somewhere that most of the people in Germany choose not to use a car to cut costs and due to environmental concerns. Germans are renowned for their steadfast dedication to protecting the environment, and many choose to avoid owning a car in order to lessen their carbon footprint. Driving a car is not as environmentally beneficial as taking the bus, cycling, or walking. Overall, I believe If the service is not dependable, regular, or convenient, that is one of the key reasons people could decide not to use public transportation. Maybe if the governments might spend money on extending and modernizing public transportation systems to increase user appeal and accessibility? What’s your overall thought on this?

3. Fariyal February 19, 2023

Hello Kiara, your research question is very thought provoking and I would like to thank you for sharing this. It is quite praiseworthy of you to spend an effort in figuring the root cause of peoples’ reluctance in using public transport by tracking the motivation of Germans as this matter is very concerning. There is no falsity in the fact that majority of the people use personal vehicles to get to places. No matter how irritated everyone is with the increased traffic on the road or increasing global temperature, they still resort to using their own cars instead of public transport. Personally, I have faced a lot of issues in terms of transportation as owning personal vehicles is also prominent in the gulf region. I could feel the helplessness through your post and related over the difficulty in commuting due to not owning a vehicle or a driving license. It appears that American public transport has lower ridership levels, fewer service hours, and longer waits between trains than those in comparably wealthy countries. Do you think that perhaps, the low quality of public transport in the US is the reason why people lack the motivation to use public transport?

4. Ali AlMulla February 19, 2023

Dear Kiara,
    Thanks for this research question as it motivates people to think about how public transportation can be used as an effective mean of commute. I can totally relate to your research as my personal experience tells me how much German people appreciate public transportation and use it as a mean of commute. Your research is extensive and it shows how much beneficial it is for people living in Germany because public transportation promises them their safety and saves a lot of money when it comes to owning a car. I feel that countries like Germany are making it easier for their citizens to live a life where they do not have to worry about commute options. Also, I believe that your research will be a motivation for other countries to provide such great and meaningful services to their citizens where they can utilize public service and be confident about using it.